Thread: New camera and new software

Default New camera and new software

Hello all, Iím a senior citizen newbie, this is my first post and Iím asking for some advice if I may.
    I have a Sony HDR-CX125E Camera, the reproduction played back through a TV seems fine to my eyes.
    Iíve bought (on advice) Sony Movie Studio HD Vegas version 11 for my PC. However, Iím not able to get it to recognise the camera. It will recognise the webcam but not the CX125E camera. Iíve had a quick trawl through the posts to no avail and sonycreativesofware.com/support is no help at all. Any advice or guidance will be much appreciated
    Thanks
    Ron

As far as I can see your camera records to a USB stick, is that right ? If so, you just copy the files from the USB stick onto your computer and then, after opening Sony Vegas, On the Explorer tab, browse to where you put them and drag the files onto the time line. As your camera records standard AVCHD format Vegas should be able to cope with this format just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    As far as I can see your camera records to a USB stick, is that right ? If so, you just copy the files from the USB stick onto your computer and then, after opening Sony Vegas, On the Explorer tab, browse to where you put them and drag the files onto the time line. As your camera records standard AVCHD format Vegas should be able to cope with this format just fine.
    Thanks for the reply Midnight Blue, the camera records to a San Disk 16GB chip. If I get a card reader, can I do the same as you suggest?
    Last edited by RonKnight; 12-15-2012 at 02:20 PM.

Otherwise known as a memory card. Yes, you could do that but you should be able to use a USB cable to connect the camera to a USB socket on your computer. You may need to put your camera into a certain mode or have a certain menu setting to make the computer see the camera. I'm afraid looking through the manual is the best way to find out how to do this. However if you're lucky it may be set by default and just work.

Thanks again Midnight Blue, this camera has built in editing called PlayMemories Home but it appears limited for what I want. I don't seem to disable it. I'll study the manual again in case I missed something. Oh, the camera has a built in USB lead it tucks into the hand strap.
    If you hear of onything else give me a shout. Thanks again.
    Last edited by RonKnight; 12-16-2012 at 12:52 PM. Reason: addition to text

FWIW it's my belief that any software supplied free with the Camcorder is best left in the box. There's nowt wrong with v11 MS, IMHO, - So, you have two choices - use the USB lead, or, as most folks do, pop the memory-card into the PC (many have readers built-in) - OR {buy one with USB, which connects to yr PC).

However, the file arrangements on cards is far from easy:
    Mine is Private/AVCHD/BDW/Stream - this is where the video clips are(DYOR).....which is far from logical esp as a Newbe.

Thanks for the reply Vidmanners, I didn't like the USB lead method so I've just tried the memory card and managed to extract some video from the card, so now I have to learn what to do with it.
    Thanks to everyone for your help I'm sure I'll be back for some advice.
    Ron