Thread: First Editing Demo Reel - Need Feedback Please!

1. Default First Editing Demo Reel - Need Feedback Please!

Hello,
    This is my very first Demo Reel showcasing some projects I have worked on.
    Currently a senior in College, I would appreciate any feedback you might have.

Thanks so much!

Luke

Nice looking material Luke BUT shouldn't an editing reel show different sections of a films to show your editing skills and not just "look at the projects I've worked on, with some music" unless they are very well known pieces.

I appreciate there was the split screen work shown but apart from putting together some nice shots it doesn't really show you off.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Nice looking material Luke BUT shouldn't an editing reel show different sections of a films to show your editing skills and not just "look at the projects I've worked on, with some music" unless they are very well known pieces.

I appreciate there was the split screen work shown but apart from putting together some nice shots it doesn't really show you off.
    Yes,
    I am having trouble truly understanding what an "editing reel" should really entail.
    I could put scenes from some of these films I've worked on, but then it would drag too long. If a potential client wants to REALLY see if I can edit, they would go on my website and see the film in its entirety ?
    It's difficult to show my "editing" if I only have about 2 mins in length (anything longer than that) loses the viewers attention in my opinion. And the majority of films I have worked on are slow paced, so a "flashy, fast, quick cuts" reel is out of question for me.

I'm not sure how to approach this :-/

I agree, it's hard to determine what is best for a "proper editing" reel, As you have pointed out if someone is really interested they could look at your website for the full movie. Perhaps if you do a search on Vimeo or YouTube for editing reel or Director reel, you may find some ideas.

ya looks like very good

6. Default

Well, I decided to cut another brand new version.
    Hopefully, this resembles an "editing reel" more properly.
    Take a look

Yep, a totally different mood to this. It may be a bit too much "flash bag" at the beginning but I see, in this video, an editing talent so I hope directors/producers will also. Good luck Luke.

I realy liked the first video. The second one kinda F-up my head, Loved the footage and the editing, but the music made it abit to much for me. it was to loud and i don like that kind of music either. But as i said damn good editing and clips man

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by MrShrimpyProductions View Post
    I realy liked the first video. The second one kinda F-up my head, Loved the footage and the editing, but the music made it abit to much for me. it was to loud and i don like that kind of music either. But as i said damn good editing and clips man
    Haha, thanks for the feedback man!
    The music is not for everybody I guess, but I'm thinking, it's got that "Blow your socks off" vibe, so it might just stick in potential employer's head when they review bunch of reels, hehe

Yeah that was a realy smart move tho. it realy blew my socks of. i guess that the second video is more original and more mood pumping for those who like this kinda music it would defenitly catch alot of eyes.