Thread: Live Performance Video Editing

Default Live Performance Video Editing

Hey everyone, I have been making videos for local bands in Michigan for about 8 months now, and was looking to get some feedback from some seasoned video editors. Here's one I did for a local heavy metal band named Wulfhook. All of my cams & equipment cost under around $1,200, and I am completely self taught. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

A couple of observations that may make your productions a bit better. Try and balance the cameras and edit out the zooming in and out.

Thanks for the feedback MB. What exactly do you mean by balance the cameras? I do try to cut out the zooming in & out as much as possible, but I do like the look of fading in or out of a zoom & into one of the tripod cam shots. My girlfriend & I hold the 2 closer up cams & I try to incorporate as much of each of the band members as possible, so I am pretty active with movement & zooms.

It's great to get lots of long shots and close ups etc. BUT it doesn't look very professional to show the actual zooming in and out unless you are doing it for effect. You could shoot a long shot with camera 1, then before you are zooming in, cut to a different camera while the zoom takes place, then back to the first camera with the close up after the zoom in has finished.

By balancing the cameras, I mean get each of the cameras images looking as though they could have come from the same camera. Example the camera looking at the drummer is a lot less saturated than your zooming in and out camera shooting from the front. I don't mean the black and white one which you obviously did for stylistic/artistic reasons.

Awesome, exactly the kind of tips I was looking for. How would I go about balancing the cams to look more uniform, being that each one of my cams is a different model. The only one that looks quite different is the one you mentioned (which I control during filming) and I would like to get it to match better if possible. Thanks again for the replies.

Before filming make sure you do a white balance on all the cameras. Then try and match "the look" using the screens to see which might need the iris open a bit more etc. If you can't do these manual setting in the camera then you will have to adjust the clips in your editing program so each cameras footage matches the other.

I suppose I'd have to learn how to do it during the editing process on my software (Movie Studio 11) since I believe none of the cameras I use has an option for white balance while shooting in video.

The cams I currently use are...
    1. Zoom Q3HD
    2. Nikon AW100
    3. Nikon L110
    4. Sony MHS-FS1

It may be worth re-checking the manuals for those all those cameras. I don't know them, but I noticed a review here (Nikon Coolpix AW100 Camera - Express Review) which suggests that on the AW100 that "EV and White Balance settings are honored during movie capture". I recommend memorising the post from MidnightBlue.

I shall be interested to see how well MovieStudio11 is for making those required adjustments.

Thank you for the info Tim, I will check that out now and make an adjustment. I am filming 6 bands tonight so I should have something new up in the next few days to compare.