Thread: Cave Tubing in Belize

Default Cave Tubing in Belize

Hey everyone, just found this forum today. Love it. I run a small video productions business in Detroit MI, that specializes in live performance videos of local musicians, but I also dabble in making edits of my personal & family adventures on the side. Here's one I made from our cave tubing excursion in Belize during a Caribbean cruise a few months back. Would love some feedback & tips if possible. For some reason my YouTube uploads have been looking much darker than the original file lately, so the part when we are actually inside the cave is pretty hard to see.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Prolifik View Post
    Hey everyone, just found this forum today. Love it.
    It's a great forum. I've learned lots here. Very helpful and honest comments.
    Would love some feedback & tips if possible.
    Don't walk with the camera (unless you have a stabilizer or very steady hands. Don't wave the camera around (Or at least edit the movement out)
    Definitely don't walk with the camera whilst waving it around.

I couldn't watch more than 1:30. Unless I'm missing the point this just seemed to be footage taken straight off the camera without any thought as to what each shot was contributing to the film. Even family and friends deserve better than this!

If you were new amateur I'd be happy to offer more advice, but, without wishing to appear rude, i don't understand how you can run a video production house and post this.

Sorry!

EDIT: Just seen your live performance vid. It's considerably better than this, but still a long way from what I;'d expect of a professional outfit.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 12-13-2012 at 08:28 PM.
    Tim

Thanks for the feedback Tim, Yeah, it's basically just footage straight off of the camera. Six of us went on a cruise, and I wanted to take a little footage from each of the stops and turn it into a home video edit for each of the people who went to relive it a little. I had no plan of attack or specific idea in mind when filming, just a chronological video capturing bits of the excursion. I actually did take from the best footage we had, out of the 20mins of total we had. I am just holding the camera in my hands while being led through the jungle to where we would launch into the river. I will have to learn to just try to hold it steadier when in these situations. I uploaded this to my personal channel, not the one where I upload my live performance video work.

As for the video productions house, my gf and I decided to offer the local bands an affordable means of having higher quality YouTube videos with 4 HD cams. The audio was my biggest concern. We spent around $1,200 over the course of 6 months and bought various cameras and then filmed a show for a family friend. They were really happy with the result, and we just kept going with it. Ww got a DBA and work spread through the MI metal community through Facebook and people just started contacting us. It's been 8 months now since we started, and we are constantly booked with bands. So I'm not sure if thats considered professional, but I make money doing it, which I am saving to buy better cameras than my current mish mash of cams.

Here's a short promo I made that shows the difference...

Blog Entries

The audio was my biggest concern.
    As it should be. I've just churned out exactly that in another thread.

Ww got a DBA and work spread through the MI metal community through Facebook and people just started contacting us. It's been 8 months now since we started, and we are constantly booked with bands. So I'm not sure if thats considered professional, but I make money doing it,
    Fair enough. So it's a hobby which is beginning to make you some money and you want to take it to the next level, which is a great way to go (I'm doing similar myself) Sorry if I seemed so hard on you - it was just your phrase "I run a small video production business" sounds rather more gradiose than what you've just described!
    Tim

No problem Tim, I suppose I am a bit over-zealous when describing my latest endeavor. The musicians have been very happy with the end results, but I definitely want to keep learning and take it to the next level. With such a limited budget it's tough, but I hope to upgrade to better software (though I have been really happy with Movie Studio 11) and get a couple DSLR's (I'm thinking the Cannon 600D) this upcoming summer. I use a Zoom Q3HD as my full shot cam & to capture that good audio which is so important for live performance vids.

I would love to check out some of your work? What is the best way to go about doing that here? And is there a way to see anybody elses live performance video work? One of the best ways for me to learn is to see examples of top quality edits. Thanks again for the replies & info.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't say my material is top quality edits (though of course, I'm always trying to achieve that). My comments are based on watching 100s of videos and films, and on what I see others manage. But you are welcome to look on my YouTube channel Tim Stannard - YouTube The featured vid was our family Christmas video from a couple fo years ago. The closest I've got to a holiday vid is one I made in 2008 (search for "Mallorca") and a reasonable lighthearted documentary is "Battersea Dalmatians").

Vegas Movie Studio is a great piece of software - unfortuately you've just missed a one day only opportunity to upgrade to Vegas Pro for $99. MS will do most of what you need. Where you will find pro useful - expecially as you'll be filming in less than ideal lighting conditions, is the additional colour correction tools. It's also worth investigating some of the NewBlueFX tools if you want to improve colour but don't want to fork out the small fotune which is Vegas Pro (mind you, Vegas Pro Edit - which doesn't include the DVD Architect authoring software is pretty good value, now.
    Tim

Thanks Tim, I will check it out. Do they run these upgrade specials often? I definitely would like to move on to Vegas Pro, which version do you use or recommend?

Blog Entries

Thanks Tim, I will check it out. Do they run these upgrade specials often? I definitely would like to move on to Vegas Pro, which version do you use or recommend?
    Unfortunately I've never seen an offer as good as that, but hopefully that's the way they're going. Yes I use Vegas Pro 12 (have used it since version 7)
    Tim