Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem Rendering MP4 "Internet 1080P"

Blog Entries

Default Problem Rendering MP4 "Internet 1080P"

Vegas Pro 12 build 394, 4.7GHz i7-2600K, 8GB RAM, variety of internal SATA 2 and 3 disks.

It's not like I haven't used Vegas but this is my first time playing with footage from a couple of Panasonic X900s.

Footage is 1080P. (and I have no problem playing that back in the Vegas preview window at Best (Full))

Simple edit 2 x video tracks with corresponding audio (generally deleted) and a separate audio track (wav from my trusty H2)
    No transitions, half a dozen audio fades and half a dozen fades to black.

I've selecetd about 6 minutes from which i want to produce a quick sample so I first render this 6 minutes using MainConcept AAC/AVC MP4 with the "Internet 1080P" template.
    This all works fine.

I then dropped this into a new project and set the project properties to = the media.

I then selected two 30 sec clips and butted them up against each other on the timeline and insert a fade to black/audio fade between them.

I render to the same template. It takes a second or two to get up to speen then shoots across to around 50% (but a few frames into the second clip) with the "footage doesn't need recompressing" message.

Then stops!

Vegas continues to ustilise 12% of my CPU, and less than 4GB RAM is in use, but no progress is made. Certainly no progress was made in the time it took me to have a bath.

I had to use task manager to crash out of Vegas.

I tried it again, with different sections of the clip. Same result.

I tried it again with only one event. This time it would get to 100% but then not allow me to close. It just sits there hogging 12% of my CPU.

I've re-rendered the original and have the same issue.

Any suggestions?
    Tim

What a bummer Tim. I had an issue a few weeks back after a Windows update which made things go funny. Have you recently done one ? It was a nightmare to fix. I ended up doing a system restore and re-installing Vegas. That seemed to fix it. I have no idea what it was in the update but if I ever get my hands on the software guy that did the up date I'll be sure to ask him what I did to him, for him to want to ruin my life.

I guess this waffle isn't helping you, how about trying a different codec ? just to make sure your project files are ok. I'm afraid I can't offer much help with this but you do have my understanding as to how you feel about it.

Blog Entries

Taking the pragmatic approach, I've rendered out from the original clips the parts I need, but I will need to get to the bottom of this.
    Whilst rendering these out it occurred to me that the HD 1080P template might not be such a good idea as it is 29.xyz fps rather than the 25fps of PAL. Of course this could account for an issue in the first render (original 1080P PAL footage to 1080P NTSC) which I didn;'t experience - ie it worked fine, but not the second remnder (which should have been 1080P NTSC to 1080P NTSC). i'll experiment ...
    Tim

I tested rendering 2 short projects (1 clip each, 25fps PAL, .m2ts/AVC) to the uncustomized HD 1080p Internet template (CPU only) in VP 11b701 and VP12b367. VP 11 rendered the nested project fine. With VP 12 I got all the symptoms TIm got and no successful render.

While your working things out you can have a chuckle at my expense.

This morning I got up very early so I could shoot the sun rise in the heart of the North Yorkshire Moors. I loaded my bags into the car, after defrosting it, and set off through the fog and icy roads in the dark. I eventually arrived just before the sun came up and looked in the back of the car only to come to the horrible realisation that I'd forgotten to load my tripods.

Blog Entries

OK So I just tried renderimng out the first file using the Internet 1080P setting but modified to 25fps. Then took that into a new project - matched project settings to media, chopped 2 x 30 sec events from it and abutted them. Rendered using the same modified Internet 1080P template. It stops halway again .... argh!
    Tim

Try a modified Sony Tablet 1080p in VP 12, mentioned here
    SCS Vegas Pro forum Search: Render to MP4 format... option not working

Seems to work for me.

EDIT:
    corrected the link. (cannot make auto-link to work now)
    Last edited by vkmast; 12-13-2012 at 11:36 AM.

Blog Entries

OK. Finally got there (ish).
    Having tried soem other templates for the MainConcept codec I found if I dropped the Maximum bitrate from 24,000,000 to 20,000,000 it worked. I also found if I turned on 2-pass but left the max bitrate at 24M it worked but the first few seconds of the output were very choppy.
    I thentried it again at 24M but with GPU enabled - success.

This is a solution, but not entirely satisfactory - I'd prefer some sort of error rather that the result we had.

You may wonder why I'd turned off GPU acceleration. I found that I was getting a few glitches/hangs when I upgraded to VP12 which disappeared when I turned off GPU. A quick look at the tables suggested that my card, a GTS 450, wasn't really supported so i switched it off. Earlier tests had shown that with my CPU running at 4.7GHz, I was getting better results doing all the processing in the CPU anyway so i wasn't in the slightest worried. I do have a GTX 560 which I may introduce to the system - especially now I've had this experience.

Anyway, someone might benefit from my findings.

EDIT: Sorry vkmast - crossed posts! Indeed it was the Tablet 1080P template that I experimented with when I had success and then looked for differences (Baseline/max bitrate) Thanks for the link - Actually it doesn't work But I managed to get there being a fairly resourceful bloke
    Last edited by TimStannard; 12-13-2012 at 12:38 AM.
    Tim

Eh? - I've just answered a convoluted workflow that highlighted a Default difference that may be of value to your issue:-

In VP11 MC AVC MP4 defaults to "Automatic" for the type of processor to be used. However, in VP12, it defaults to CPU.

This caught me out using the Batch Render Script (and of course, BRS uses the Default of ANY Template!) AND the testing of the Poster's Workflow. A 19 sec selection in VP11 took 27 seconds and 47 in VP12! As a control and forcing CPU in P11 it took 69 seconds! But using the CUDA option back in VP12 it too came down to 27 seconds.

... ... ......
    Last edited by Grazie; 12-13-2012 at 07:19 AM.

Blog Entries

Interesting Grazie. There must have been some reasoning behind making that change to default behaviour.

Dunno what your "Eh?" is referring to - (a) the fact I got better results rendering using CPU (b) the fact don't find the "solution" entirely satisfactory (c) the apparent strange behaviour I experienced or (d) something else
    If (a) previously, when comparing GPU vs CPU rendering I would only have been rendering to mpeg2 (DVDA template) or dvsd avi.
    If (b) it's clearly a bug of the program if my PC is left in a state where the ony way I can cancel Vegas is via Task Manager
    if (c) then "me too"
    if (d) maybe :0
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast