Thread: HDV Capture on PPro problem - No precise frame control

Default HDV Capture on PPro problem - No precise frame control

I'm trying HDV for the first time. I've installed the adobe plugin for it.

With DV. I can control the camera through PPro, so I can capture from specific frames.

I can't do this atall with HDV, Sony Z1E.

If I try to move forward 1 frame, viewfinder on camera moves 1 frame, ppro capture window doesn't.

If I move back 1 frame, the tape jumps back 2 seconds.

I know video is stored differently, I just need to be able to precisly adjust capture in and out capture points so I can keep edit files and re-capture video at a later time

Any suggestions?

Same issue here with my FX1. I like to bne able to recapture too if necessary. If you find a solution make sure to post it won't you. To date I've not heard of anyone performing a batch capture using these cameras. I should find more time to play though.

Probably all down to the fact that it's MPEG2 on the tape. Likely as not the best we'll get for control is the start of each GOP.

I've just had a little look around about this. not sure whether native PPro1.5.1 allows batch capture but the Cineform Aspect HD plugin claims it. Although I read something along the lines of it only works when the tape starts with a timecode of 0 though and the thing rewinds to the start for each batch capture to settle itself down (presumably).

If you batch capture then you should have all the control you need. Just make sure you include a few seconds either side of any clips you want (as per normal - for any transitions you might want to apply) and you should be fine.

It's one of the "issues" that new HDV format brings to us. The higly-compressed format os MPEG2 is too hard to "separate" frame by frame individually because they are dependent each other. There a GOP train of frames that most of them just contain very little information inside it, "copying" the rest from I-frames.

I don't know if with these new HDV solutions from Matrox, Canopus and Pinnacle can cross this problem without hassles.

I'd request for you that have been using HDV already that maintein us informed of your problems and advances on HDV editing.
    Abit IC7 - P4 3.2C - 1GB RAM - RAID 0 2x80 GB Seagate HD - Matrox RTX100 - LG T910B 19\'

It seems the things I want to do just can't be done as it's MPEG2 fromat. The readme file with the PPro 151 update explains it all.

I'm told that if you switch the camera to Standard Definition mode you gain full control. But then you are capturing it as DV and not HDV.

Prestriping the HDV tapes is recommended.