Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC Help

Default PC Help (update)

I have a PC with lots of raw footage and project files (not backed up) that wont boot due to a virus. This is what happens ......

Is it possible to salvage my data?
    Last edited by enc; 12-12-2012 at 08:04 PM.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

When you press F12 to go to the boot menu do you get the option to boot in safe mode ? Usually you have to press the F8 key during start up (before the Windows screen comes up) to get this option.

If it will boot in Safe mode then do a System Restore.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    When you press F12 to go to the boot menu do you get the option to boot in safe mode ? Usually you have to press the F8 key during start up (before the Windows screen comes up) to get this option.

If it will boot in Safe mode then do a System Restore.
    I've tried that MB... Doesn't work :-(
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

It's not a virus, probably, but more of a windows error. Don't worry, your data is absolutely fine, but you'll need to find a way of either booting from a CD or USB stick and then backing up, or getting someone to remove the hard drive and transferring your data off it (which is a very easy process).

If you take note of the crash dump numbers, you can get help on a PC forum and they'll probably be able to identify the problem and fix it, too. Or you could just reinstall once your data is backed up.

If you can't fix it. I would buy a SSD, install the OS on that and that way you will not loose your important files.

Then put in a serious back up procedure.

Are you able to use the "Last Known Good Configuration"?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852
    or
    Using Last Known Good Configuration

Note - this requires pressing F8 *before* the Windows Logo appears.

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    Are you able to use the "Last Known Good Configuration"?
    How to start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature in Windows XP
    or
    Using Last Known Good Configuration

Note - this requires pressing F8 *before* the Windows Logo appears.
    No Tim :-(

a friend has suggested

1/ remove hard drive from PC to back up data using ......
    one of these Sharkoon QuickPort XT SATA External Dock Hot Swappable - 4044951011025 - Scan.co.uk
    2/ insert my hard drive into the caddy and copy all data to an external hard drive, (as a back up)
    3/ refit hard drive into PC
    4/ Reinstall windows from start up disc (without full format of hard drive)

in theory, if i screw up the new install of windows i should have all my data backed up to an external hard drive.

feasable?

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    4/ Reinstall windows from start up disc (without full format of hard drive)
    in theory, if i screw up the new install of windows i should have all my data backed up to an external hard drive.
    feasable?
    ....HEH?!?
    Nononononononoonon

Never ever ever ever try to reinstall the OS on the drive which data must be recovered from! All it takes is one glitch and the data is gone.

Yes but it's backed up anyway so it should be fine. Just make sure you verify the data is backed up first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast