Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zoom H2?

Default Zoom H2?

Hi all,

Is the Zoom H2 a good recorder? (not the n version)

I will want to use to it record ambient noise in the jungle in 2013.
    Is it good for this? I have found one for 90 and am wondering if it is worth it.

Thanks.
    Last edited by photographer; 12-09-2012 at 10:55 AM.

As a Zoom H4n user I would recommend that over the H2 but I understand monetary constrains apply to these decisions. I found this article which may help in you decision making.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the H2, I've heard it used to good effect. Everyone has different ideas of the level of quality they find acceptable, you just have to way this up with the production level you as currently at. It's a bit like choosing a lens against it's cost. You could buy a perfectly good lens for 500. BUT there will always be a better one just out of you cost bracket. Do you want a 15,000 lens ? Yes, we all do but I'm happy with a 500 lens right now.

I think it would do the job for you.

For the price you won't find anything better. I've used the H2 for a lot of ambient recording, and it does a superb job for the price. Having the option of 120 degree recording or 90 degree recording is very useful, as is full 360 degree recording.

If you want to use an external microphone (that doesn't have its own preamp) it's worth noting that the H2's mic in is noisy (the line in is fine though).

The H2 isn't the 'quietest' recorder out there (as in noise floor), but you'd have to spend MUCH more in order to improve it (ie, spending money on some quiet xlr mics, a good mixer, and a recorder, all of which is costly and bulky to carry about).

For the price and portability factor, you cannot fault the H2. It's a great choice.

You will need to be careful about handling noise and wind noise, both of which can really harm ambient recordings. Making some kind of shockmount and extra wind 'hat' would solve both of them.

Gets my vote !
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Are there any similar hand held devices that record ambient noise with much quieter noise floors?
    Thanks.

Blog Entries

The quality differences between the H2 and the H4n that Midnight refers to can be summarised as:

1. Build Quality
    2. Ability to accept XLR mic input (but not line level, as discussed in a recent thread)
    3. A much better menu system

I'm happy to be corrected but I'm pretty certain the internals are identical and there is no difference in audio quality (so the lens analogy does not quite ring true)

So if you don't need XLRs and you're not going to throw it around the H2 is fine - especially at that price. It's also smaller and thus easier to slip into someone's pocket attached to a lavalier or hand held mic.
    Tim

My analogy was not meant as a comparison between the two different Zooms. I was trying to make the point about there is always better stuff out there and that the zoom H2 is plenty good enough for his current needs.

Quote Originally Posted by photographer View Post
    Are there any similar hand held devices that record ambient noise with much quieter noise floors?
    Thanks.
    The Sony PCM-M10 has a very quiet noise floor, but it is more expensive and its inbuilt microphones are omnidirectional, rather than cardioid, meaning that it's more mono than stereo because the mics aren't far enough apart. Omnis are quieter than cardioids, which is why it's quieter.

So, if you wanted a lower noise floor it would be at the cost of price and good stereo performance.

To be honest, unless you're recording in a silent room or a forest with absolutely no wind or animals, the H2's noise floor is perfectly fine. I can post some samples of mine later if you like.

Bit more info... I had the H2 and replaced it with the H2 N .

*I became frustrated with the audio monitor function on the h2 ... I missed one to many takes because of it.*

Having said that build quality on the h2 is better than the h2n and you get loads Of accessories with the H2.... Can't say I've noticed any difference in audio quality between the two.*
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    My analogy was not meant as a comparison between the two different Zooms.
    Understood, but it might have been misunderstood by others
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast