Thread: Adding a frame to your video.

Default Adding a frame to your video.

Hi guys, i've just begun using sony vegas pro lately & i've learned how to do add effects & do stuff like split screen to play multiple videos in the same frame at once. But does anyone know how to add a background frame to a video? Something like this video link has done where the clock was used as a frame throughout. Many thanks for the upcoming advice! (Just look at 00.43 to save time)

Leehom Wang,

Blog Entries

(Moved from Just for Fun section)

There are several ways. Off the top of my head ...

1. If your "frame" is still, the simplet way is to edit a photo of your frame in pgoto editing software, make the centre portion transparent then save it as a format that allows transparency (eg png) then simply use this as an overlay (ie on a higher track than the subject) over your main video. I used this technique for the gold frame here: Fire of London - YouTube

2. Shoot the frame with the centre part (the bit you want to show though) evenly lit and all one colour (ie stick a piece of green, non-reflective card over the "picture" part f teh frame. In editing use "chroma key" to remove that colour and replace it with transparency. (Look up "Chroma key" and "green screen" for more info.

3. Place the video with the frame above your main video. Open the pan and crop tool on the frame event, tick the "mask" checkbox towards the bottom of the windows and "draw" a mask around teh area you want to "cut out".
    Tim

Hmm...

I took a very, very close look on that YT Music Video. It would appear it is more complex than at first glance.

Tim's approach is what got him his very "engaging" News Report on the 1666 fire of London - great stuff. However, from closer inspection what would appear to be a straightforward, simple "overlay" border, in that Music Video, turns out to have ALL the video in waiting on each of the next Timing Items. It is a very subtle and sophisticated bit of design and compositing. Again, on closer inspection, you can make out the graphic "representation" of the Digital clock face, where there is heaps of detail in the edge.

Tim's approach is correct in principle. What is occuring in the Music Video Clock is something more.

... ... .

Check Picture Grid at Essentials VI and Image Mapper at Essentials III : Video Essentials VI - From Chroma Key Pro to Picture Grid, Video Essentials VI transforms your video clips with 10 all new plugins. | NewBlueFX Just bought a few packages from them and they work very well. Extremely easy to use. No links to the company at all. Just satisfied. Oh, look for huge discounts at their facebook page (got 40% discount 3 days ago!!). Hope it helps.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    It would appear it is more complex than at first glance.
    Indeed it is. I only looked at the outer frame, assuming (perhaps correctly, perhaps not) that the OP, being a self confessed beginner with Vages wouldn't be ooking for more. I wonder how many people watching the video would even notice the level of detail you've drawn to our attention - but that's the difference between a pro taking pride over a vid and someone after a quick fix.
    I suspect the effort is in the design and planning but that it's still done with masks (and a few more video tracks than I was givig it credit for)
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I wonder how many people watching the video would even notice the level of detail you've drawn to our attention
    Yup, that'll be me.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    - but that's the difference between a pro taking pride over a vid and someone after a quick fix.
    I suspect the effort is in the design and planning but that it's still done with masks (and a few more video tracks than I was givig it credit for)
    Very complex lil number that one.

... ... .....