Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3D modeling software - cheap and easy - any recommendations?

Blog Entries

Default 3D modeling software suggestions wanted- cheap and easy - any recommendations?

It would seem that some "producers" despite having degrees in Media Studies (I knew I should have collected those coupons from the cornflakes packets, then I could have one as well) are incapable of reading or understanding plans.

So, I'm looking for a simple to use software which enables me to build a 3D set, then look at it from any angle "take a picture" and export it as a jpeg.

It doesn't have to be able to have lights, effects or anything apart from basic surfaces and some pre-built figures (man sitting down, woman standing etc.)

It has to be cheap (so no LightWave suggestions please) and easy to use, I have no wish to spend three months learning how to use it.

Any suggestions guys?
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 12-07-2012 at 02:23 PM.

You may already have seen this Wiki list List of 3D modeling software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Your choice may also be affected by the quality of the final image, the level of controls over the materials (colours, textures etc), whether animation is required; and whether it can output in a suitable format.

I mught usully recommend 'Blender', or 'Poser' (which I have used in my animated music clips); but both take a while to get used to the strange GUIs.
    However, 'Sketchup' looks relatively easy to use. There appear to be no lights (and therefore gives a flattish 2d appearance).

Blog Entries

Thanks. Yeah, I had a look at wiki but, even going through the list, there didn't seem to be any recommendations for the imovie or Movie-maker level software, only Final Cut Pro, if you get my meaning and poor analogy.

Okay, so I've now downloaded SketchUp and will have a play with it. Thanks for the tip.

I don't know if something like Storyboard software would do for you. Something like THIS. I'm sure I've seen software similar were you can choose any camera angle you want.

I've never used sketch-up, I always meant to a take a bit of time and check out it's capabilities. Every now and again I build a 3d model of family members/friends rooms/houses when they're refurnishing/decorating etc. When I do that I always build in Cinema 4d, export as collada, and check out how it looks in sketch-up where they'll be using it.

I think sketch-up offers an excellent look for viewing by people with little/or no planning etc. knowledge, by default. The same look would take a bit of work in C4D even after it has been learned.

David.

Blog Entries

Thanks Midnight but the storyboard software isn't quite what I'm after but Sketchup is looking promising.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt Rob View Post
    Thanks Midnight but the storyboard software isn't quite what I'm after but Sketchup is looking promising.
    Came late to this thread, but my immediate reaction was Sketch-up. I don't know it, but just to throw down the gauntlett the kids at one of the school I teach at use it!
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    ... the kids at one of the school I teach at use it!
    In other words...?

Be careful Tim.... People have died for less.

Wouldn't it be possible to do some simple sketches?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    the kids at one of the school I teach at use it!
    I don't know why I wrote that. I don't teach! I meant the school I work at.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast