Thread: Special Effect

Default Special Effect

Hi

Im new and I hope this is posted in the right area...please move it if it isn.t

I have 2 questions.

1] How could I make myself pass through a mirror? I have a greenscreen and was wondering how I could do it?

2] Any cool special effect ideas, apart from sabers and cloning?

-thanks

Default Re: Special Effect

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphius
    Hi

Im new and I hope this is posted in the right area...please move it if it isn.t

I have 2 questions.

1] How could I make myself pass through a mirror? I have a greenscreen and was wondering how I could do it?
    Film a background plate of just the mirror. Then remove the mirror and place your greenscreen so that it's edge obscures just half of the where the mirror was. Then film yourself walking to and through the spot where the mirror was, making sur ethe camera has not moved. remember to make sure you walk behind the greenscreen.

TYhen simply composit the background plate over the greenscreen and it will look like you are disapearing into nothing i.e. behind an invisible curtain, which is exactly what you are doing. As long as lin eup the mirror and the edge of the green screen it should/could look ok. Not perfect but a decent start I'll wager.
    2] Any cool special effect ideas, apart from sabers and cloning?

-thanks
    I'd check out your DVD collection for ideas.

excellent thanks...ill give it try.

im guessing you film it from the side?

I was wondering how it could be filmed so that you see me walking toward the mirror...and see the reflection of myself in the mirror.

So it gets that...head on portal sortof effect.

I suppose I can film the mirror by itself, then have me walk towards it and then you see my going through the mirror, but you can see my reflection as well? Sorry if im not clear...it is hard to describe.

Yep, I had in mind filiming it from the side. Sort of a walk off the edge of a split screen effect.

It's going to be tough to do a head on version I suspect. My first thoughts are that it would be a serious compositing exercise, something along the lines of the following.

Have an empty mirrot frame (or open doorway maybe?). Shoot you )(from behind) walking into it.

No go through the door and film you walking through it from the front. remember to make it exactly the same as the first one. This will be the mirror shot once it's reversed.

Also shoot some footage, from the front of the empty doorway.

Now just ( ) composit the three bits of footage and a bit of touching up frame by frame (maybe) until you are happy.

Like I said. I don't think it would be easy.

let us all know how it goes though