Thread: Solar Eclipse VFX Breakdown (After Effects)

Default Solar Eclipse VFX Breakdown (After Effects)

Hi fellows,

since a few people were interested, here's how I've created the "renowned" Solar Eclipse scene from the official Eva Can't music videoclip:

For those who are interested in the full CG videoclip, it has been discussed here last week:
    http://www.videoforums.co.uk/pimp-li...sic-video.html

I hope you enjoy! If you have any comments/critics/questions don't hesitate to reply.

Blog Entries

Fantastic. Thanks for posting. Now to see if we can do similar in Sony Vegas ...
    Tim

Blog Entries

... and here we are:

It's not as good as Allessandro's and I'm sure it could be improved upon within Vegas, but I don't think it's a bad effort. Funadmentally I followed Alessandro's steps with the exception of creating the turbulent corona (Vigas doesn't have such an effect). I attempted similar by using a second layer of much more intense rays, I can think of other ways I might have tried, but this wasn't bad and the idea was meant to be just a quick knock-up (although time dissappears when you're having fun)
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    It's not as good as Allessandro's and I'm sure it could be improved upon within Vegas, but I don't think it's a bad effort.
    Not bad at all, and done in such a short time! You work faster than me, indeed.
    I'm glad you liked the breakdown and tried to reproduce it with another tool. I have never used Vegas, but it looks to be more powerful than I thought. To be pointy, and just for the sake of sharing my experience, I would smear the rays mask a bit (via "mask feather" or similar parameter), so that the rays merge a bit into the star's circumference.
    I'll be glad to accept this work of yours as a "video response" on youtube, if you like.

PS: Nice choice of "Also sprach Zarathustra", it may be cliché, but also appropriated!
    Last edited by galloalessandro; 11-30-2012 at 10:00 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by galloalessandro View Post
    Not bad at all, and done in such a short time! You work faster than me, indeed.
    You'd done all the work - all the experimentation to get the basics. All I had to do was attempt reproduce with another tool, which is far easier and not at all creative.

Quote Originally Posted by galloalessandro View Post
    To be pointy, and just for the sake of sharing my experience, I would smear the rays mask a bit (via "mask feather" or similar parameter), so that the rays merge a bit into the star's circumference.
    This is where one of the differences between an editor which has a lot of power and something designed as a compositing tool comes in. Whilst Vegas has many very useful and versatile effects it is more limited in the parameter - I couldn't really get the rays (and in Vegas Pro there are two different Rays effects to choose from) to look quite as I wanted. There is no facility to blur them (although I could always have extracted the rays and added adifferent effect - but this is all work and and to a pro this would mean money. Incidentally I did find the circumference of the planet a bit sharp and added a 1% feather around the edge. More looked too much.
    I'll post this as a video response, as you suggest. It's good to advertise that many people are happy to share techniques and not just kids who've managed their first lightsaber movie!
    The music was very cliché, but I just wanted something to accompany it and as I have it from Smartsound (ie I've altready paid the royalties) ....
    Tim

Great fun.