Thread: want to see if i can upgrade either of my pc's or need to just get a new one

Default want to see if i can upgrade either of my pc's or need to just get a new one

so i have 2 desktops that i use,

i am mainly looking to do sonme lightweight hd video editing.

i am trying to see if either system i have could be ewasily upgradeable or if i just need a new system all together

first unit is a dell vostro 220
    *intel core 2 duo e7400 2,8gh
    2 mg ram
    32 bit os
    intel g45/g43 chipset

the other is an emachines et1831
    nvidia geoforce 7050 integrated
    320 gb hd
    3 gb ddr2
    right now i am using the dell vostro, and roxio videowave for some light ediing and whilke i gets the job done, video is very choppy at times and can make audio syncing very hard. i also have adobe premier cs3 but have not tried oit too much yet.

any suggestions on upgrades or is it just not doable?

budget is vvery bleek right now. the best i can do is buy a prebuilt from best buy because i have a credit card with them.

i was looking at the asus cm6830-07 at 819$ was hoping to find a computer at best buy for around 5-6 hundred. any ideas

Specs: Details: Description:
    Warranty Terms - Parts 1 year
    Warranty Terms - Labor 1 year limited
    Height 15.7 inches
    Width 6.7 inches
    Depth 16 inches
    Weight 18.1 pounds
    Gaming Series Yes
    Processor Brand Intel®
    Processor Intel® 3rd Generation Core™ i7 (Also known as the CPU). The part of the computer that interprets and executes instructions. Think of it as the brain of the computer.
    Processor Speed 3.4GHz (with Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz) How fast a computer processor carries out instructions. In general, faster is better, but processor speeds across brands may not be equivalent (i.e., a 3.0GHz AMD processor may not be the same speed as a 3.0GHz Intel processor).
    Cache Memory 8MB on die Level 3 A small segment of memory that stores frequently used information for fast access by the processor, improving response time.
    System Memory (RAM) 8GB The memory a computer uses to run its operating system, applications and active data files. Greater amounts of RAM improve speed and enable more applications to run at once.
    System Memory (RAM) Expandable To 16GB Maximum amount of memory a computer can support (as opposed to the amount that comes preinstalled).
    Type of Memory (RAM) DDR3
    Hard Drive Type SATA III (7200 rpm) Hard drives are classified based on the interface they use to connect to a computer. Common interfaces for internal hard drives include EIDE, PATA (also known as, ATA and IDE), SATA and SCSI. Common interfaces for external hard drives include USB 2.0, FireWire and eSATA.
    Hard Drive Size 1TB Capacity for storing programs, photos, video, music and other electronic information. Hard drive capacities range from a few gigabytes to several hundred.
    Graphics NVIDIA GT 620 Type of graphics (video) adapter (usually built into the motherboard), identified by manufacturer and model.
    Video Memory 2GB Manages display functions, including screen refresh rates, resolution and color. The more video memory a computer has, the better graphics and video will look.
    Audio Integrated
    Speakers None
    Network Card Built-in 10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector) Allows a computer to connect to a network either by using cables (Ethernet) or wireless technology (IEEE 802.11).
    Wireless Networking Built-in 802.11n wireless LAN
    Recordable DVD Drive Yes, double-layer DVD±RW/CD-RW Drive that can read CDs and DVDs, as well as write and rewrite CDs and various types of DVDs.
    Recordable DVD Drive Speeds 8x DVD+R DL; 8x DVD-R DL; 16x8x16 DVD+RW; 16x6x16 DVD-RW; 5x DVD-RAM; 48x32x48 CD-RW Maximum write (DVD±R), rewrite (DVD±RW) and read (DVD-ROM) speeds of the DVD±RW drive.
    Direct-Disc Labeling No
    Digital Media Reader or Slots Yes, digital media card reader
    Available Expansion Bays External: 1 (5.25"); Internal: 1 (3.5")
    Available Expansion Slots 2 PCI For digital cameras and digital audio players: Slots that allow the addition of a removable memory card, such as Secure Digital or CompactFlash, to increase storage capacity. For computers: Slots on the motherboard that accept sound cards, video cards, memory and other upgrade cards.
    USB 2.0 Ports 10 (4 front, 6 rear) Ports that allow high-speed (up to 480 Mbps) data transfer between compatible devices.
    IEEE 1394 Ports None (Also known as FireWire, Apple Computer's trademarked name for IEEE 1394.) High-speed connection that supports data transfer rates of up to 400 Mbps or 800 Mbps (depending on port version).
    Keyboard Description Gaming USB Indicates design, functionality or connection features. Some keyboards offer special buttons for gaming or multimedia use, while other keyboards include features such as illumination or wireless connectivity.
    Other Control Devices (mouse, etc.) USB mouse
    Operating System Platform Windows
    Operating System Bit Version 64-bit The terms "32-bit" and "64-bit" refer to the way a computer's processor (CPU) handles information. A 64-bit operating system handles large amounts of system memory (RAM) more effectively than a 32-bit system.

Most software programs designed for a 32-bit operating system will work on the 64-bit version, with the exception of many antivirus programs. However, if a program is designed for a 64-bit operating system, it is not backwards-compatible with a 32-bit version.

Device drivers designed for a 32-bit system will not work on computers running a 64-bit operating system. Similarly, drivers designed for a 64-bit system will not work with a 32-bit version.
    Software Included Adobe Reader and more
    ENERGY STAR Certified No
    Best Buy PC App No
    HDMI Output Yes
    Blu-ray Player No
    Graphics Chip NVIDIA
    Drive Capacity 1TB
    UPC 886227277971
    Last edited by vladius13; 11-27-2012 at 02:38 PM.