Thread: Latest Wedding Video & New website

Default Latest Wedding Video & New website

Hi guys, hope you dont mind me posting my latest Wedding video here but I really value the feedback from people far more experienced (and talented) than myself so that I can improve my craft. I havent done a wedding video for a very long time, and this was another freebie as a gift to some friends of mine (so I was unable to set up great angles for the ceremony, I was very much filming from my seat) but I was trying out a new camera and going for a more simplistic editing style, as I often can go a bit too crazy with "Oooh! I can use After Effects! Aren't I creative?" so I tried to keep that to a minimum here.

Any feedback appreciated. And if you are so inclined, please check out my website Eternal Images - Wedding & Event Video Productions and let me know what you think . Thankyou very much!

I stumbled across this thread while doing my regular round of catch up and hope my comments will not come across too harsh.
    I caanot lie and say I liked the sequence because there were too many poor shots and the general flow just did not work for me at least.

Your opening sequence started as black & White and then into colour. Is there a reason for this?
    It is then followed by a dissolve while you are panning the camera which is visible through the dissolve.
    This is a poor start to any production IMHO

I noted quite a lot of goldfishing, you really need to add more live sound, especially when people are talking and you choose to use that footage.
    General camerawork was quite poor and I felt more work is needed in terms of cameracraft, composition of shots and framing.
    I really did not like the way you kept zooming in or out and then using it as an effect, it just did not work and again did not help with the sequence.

I think you answered the question on ceremony coverage yourself, so no need to add to this.

I would recommend using close up mics in the form on Zoom H1's with a lapel etc for speeches as opposed to relying on your onboard mic/s.

Finally I felt that more work could have been done with shot selection and there were a few jump cuts.

Sorry to sound so negative.

I think it is really good that you have put the work up for review and I am sure you will in time develop on this sequence and improve on it past recognition.
    I admire that you were brave enough to do this and wish you all the best.

John De Rienzo
    De Rienzo Films /
    Last edited by GDR; 11-25-2012 at 10:25 PM.

Thanks for the feedback!

Not sure what you mean by goldfishing?

Quote Originally Posted by EternalImages View Post
    Thanks for the feedback!

Not sure what you mean by goldfishing?
    Agreeing with GDR here. We've all had poor filming/sound days and try, in the edit, to make an epic out of a pigs ear, but there are basic rules that are known to work best. Trouble is it takes years to master, but please persevere.
    Mouths opening and closing with no spoken words being heard = goldfishing - what you see looking into a goldfish bowl.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

To add to the other comments...

You have a fairly happy song and should make use of the beats to make your cuts
    Avoid cross-fades if possible as it can slow the video down, can be be effective on slow part of audio.
    Try and end with a bang, I had trouble hearing the last clip and left me me high and dry.
    The evening clips look a bit red.
    You have some good shots with high energy, with a bit more attention to the editing you can pull it all together.