Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Child Catcher Diaries

Default Child Catcher Diaries

Greetings all!
    This one has been brewing in my head for quite a while, the prosthetic was a real challenge and we had it looking the best that we could with the limitations that we had, but it is more about the story. Make sure you watch until the end!

Anyway I hope you enjoy. Critique is always welcome of course.

Blog Entries

Excellent! Loved the script and the character. Great acting by Mr Catch and you provided the perfect straight man.
    I was moaning (again) about the "handheld look" last night in the pub after our club meeting, but I must admit I liked it here as well as the limited use of crash zoom. Perfect for this sort of fly on the wall documentary. I think the simple look, the ease with which you appear to have made this belies the amount of hard work that went into it. Perhaps you'd indicate how much was planned and how much occurred to you on the shoot.
    This reminds me of a sketch in a sketch show. I can imagine Harry Enfield/Paul Whitehouse or Matt Lucas/David Walliams shooting a dozen or so short sketches with this character to be shown over as many weeks. It's a lot of work for one sketch!
    Tim

I agree with all the points Tim mentioned. The fly on the wall doco style was perfect. Good performances etc.

A very well executed and enjoyable piece. I could see this character being developed further.

That was fun! The character deserves a series for sure...

Thanks for the positives guys, I did briefly consider that this would suit an on-going series although i've not sat down to think about it further or have any other story ideas in mind. I'll certainly be open to doing more with this character.

All of this one was scripted, no ad-lib, I cut at least 30 seconds in the final edit also to get it down to 3:30.

I hope it doesn't go too close to the line of what is tasteful (the pay-off shot at the end in particular), I think I stayed on the right side.... I think.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clay_9 View Post
    I hope it doesn't go too close to the line of what is tasteful (the pay-off shot at the end in particular), I think I stayed on the right side.... I think.
    When i saw the title, I must admit I did wonder whether this might be a tricky subject matter in the light of current events, but once the video started, I was left with no misgivings at all and I thought the payoff was absolutely fine. Whilst the theme may have been child abuse, it was so very clearly a reformed (?) evil pantomime character and set in the world of the light hearted that only a bleeding heart liberal deperately looking for a cause to whinge about could make a case for offence.

There is a world of difference between a genuine pantomime character showing us his deeds and a real life character masquerading as a pantomime character who hides his despicable deeds.

This is identical child abuse to Harry Potter and I don't think anyone's taken offence at that.
    Tim

that only a bleeding heart liberal desperately looking for a cause to whinge about could make a case for offence
    or a Rotherham Social Worker.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    When i saw the title, I must admit I did wonder whether this might be a tricky subject matter in the light of current events, but once the video started, I was left with no misgivings at all and I thought the payoff was absolutely fine. Whilst the theme may have been child abuse, it was so very clearly a reformed (?) evil pantomime character and set in the world of the light hearted that only a bleeding heart liberal deperately looking for a cause to whinge about could make a case for offence.

There is a world of difference between a genuine pantomime character showing us his deeds and a real life character masquerading as a pantomime character who hides his despicable deeds.

This is identical child abuse to Harry Potter and I don't think anyone's taken offence at that.
    It's good to know that, and you put it well about being an over the top pantomime character. I knew it could be sensitive as there are always tragic real life cases of child abduction in the news, so I wanted to be very careful.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clay_9 View Post
    It's good to know that,
    It is, of course, only my opinion and I'm often out of line with what the general population thinks. (just to cause you concern again)
    Tim

Fair point, but it summarised quite well my own thoughts on it, thoughts which I was struggling to eloquently explain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast