Thread: Looking for software for: 1) Editing videos (cutting, trimming, etc.) and 2) Convert?

1. Default Looking for software for: 1) Editing videos (cutting, trimming, etc.) and 2) Convert?

Hi, I've spent countless hours researching but still have not found a good program for editing videos (cutting,trimming, etc.) and another for converting videos to different formats.

Willing to spend as much money as necessary for the best programs to accomplish these task--above is the basics that I need the programs to be able to do. I want to be able to use other features of these programs to learn about video editing myself and see what I can do with it.

Currently, I am using Cut Assistant to accomplish the first task and Xilisoft Ultimate Video Converter for the second. Cut Assistant is very basic and I can't get precise editing done on it. It also only works with AVI files--AVI, MKV, and MPEG files are the majority of the files I'm dealing with, but I don't want the program to be limited with just these formats (unless it has to). As for Xilisoft Ultimate Video Converter, it's a basic program as well but I feel that there are better programs out there.

Does Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 fit my first task?

Any recommendations? Thanks.

Does Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 fit my first task?
    Yes, if you want to spend that much on your hobby. There is also Sony Vega Pro 12 which you can do a fine job with. If you want cheaper then look for the more basic versions of these programs.

Blog Entries

You don't need the pro versions. Premiee Elements, Vegas Movie Studio, Pinnacle Studio will all do it.
    I don't know Cut assistant, butI can;t imagine ANY software that will trim can't be precise enough. Are you really suggesting it won't trim/split down to frame level?
    Tim

4. Default

Yea, Cut Assistant is off by like 3-5 frames. Also, the controls for the program are weird--I can't "zoom" in and edit for example the first 5 min of the video. I have to spam click my mouse or use the mouse wheels (which is inaccurate if you're doing frame by frame) to cut/trim out part of a video. I have Adobe Premier Pro already (my friend got me the whole CS6 set), so I guess that accomplishes my first task. Seems very complicated, but I have to start somewhere. I'll look on Youtube videos to get started.

Forgot to mention that I want to merge two files of the same format as well.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mindstormer View Post
    Yea, Cut Assistant is off by like 3-5 frames. Also, the controls for the program are weird--I can't "zoom" in and edit for example the first 5 min of the video. I have to spam click my mouse or use the mouse wheels (which is inaccurate if you're doing frame by frame) to cut/trim out part of a video. I have Adobe Premier Pro already (my friend got me the whole CS6 set), so I guess that accomplishes my first task. Seems very complicated, but I have to start somewhere. I'll look on Youtube videos to get started.

Forgot to mention that I want to merge two files of the same format as well.

So I tried Window's Movie Maker. Realized that my trimmed video was lower quality. Movie Maker could not save the AVI file as AVI, only as WMV or MPEG. If I were to convert it back to AVI, I'm guessing the quality would still be poor? Cut Assistant would save the AVI file as AVI, so I would not lose any quality.

Seems that Movie Maker also isn't accurate in terms of frames--I'm only allowed to trim every 3 frames.

Try Ulead Video Editor or Adobe Premier

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow9 View Post
    Try Ulead Video Editor or Adobe Premier
    I'll try Adobe Premier, will look at tutorials on Youtube. Thanks.