Thread: A visionary metal music video

Default A visionary metal music video

Hi all!
    Enjoy the official videoclip I made for the progressive metal band Eva Can't:

I've tried to mix recorded footage with animated photography and particle FX, I hope you appreciate the effort of joining various techniques.
    The goal was to achieve a dark/comic/oniric look, because this is a story of creation and destruction, life and death, light and darkness.
    Here are some preview screenshots:

I'll be very happy to hear your comments, critics are welcome!

Alex

Blog Entries

Really enjoyed watching that.
    Whilst the style fitted the music, I'm not sure there was any real cohesion between the two, but Ioved the use of different graphic elements and the way you managed to progress.
    The first appearance of tehe clock (when it morphs from a blob and then spirals) was my favurite bit.

It was clear how much work had gone into it.

Nice job!
    Tim

Yep, a lot of work went into that. It's not often you see animation like this done in black and white, I liked it but like Tim, didn't see the connection to the song.

Thank you all for your feedback, it's very important to me as this is my first publicly released work.
    You are right when talking about the connection to the song. Actually I forgot to mention that the video had to touch some themes contained in the whole concept album. Themes are various, revolve around time and myths, for example the cover art depicts the myth of Prometheus.
    In agreement with the band I humbly tried to create something conceptual, giving some oneiric suggestions, but I hope the result is not too cryptic or dull.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    The first appearance of tehe clock (when it morphs from a blob and then spirals) was my favurite bit.
    Thanks! That's the Droste effect, named after the recursively repeating figures in the Dutch Droste chocolate packages! It's quite immediate to reproduce if you use the Adobe Pixel Bender free plug-in made by Tom Beddard here: subblue

In my next works I want to use way more recorded video and less animation. For this purpose I've been browsing a lot of posts on this forum, so to improve my filming technique. It seems there's a very active community here and I will surely learn a lot on these posts.

Cheers

I also enjoyed it. Very pretty. I assume the lyrics may help explain the graphics; but I was unable to even guess what language it was in.
    I liked the volcano.

Interesting! Wish I could work CG like this! Loved the planets at 1:35...

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    I also enjoyed it. Very pretty. I assume the lyrics may help explain the graphics; but I was unable to even guess what language it was in.
    I liked the volcano.
    The lyrics are in Italian but quite difficult to translate in English without losing the underlying thread... there are some references to time and aeons but that's the only visual connection I used. Thanks for the good feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBR View Post
    Interesting! Wish I could work CG like this! Loved the planets at 1:35...
    I'm willing to produce a short tutorial for that soon, it's not difficult if you use after effects. Everything in the video is 2D only (with lots of vfx), put in perspective and animated.
    I didn't want to use 3D CGI because I think is often abused (the truth is that I'm not experienced with modeling). As I come from photography I considered the so called 2.5D to be more faithful to my background. I'll post the eclipse tutorial here, whenever I manage to make it. Thanks for commenting!