Thread: IFE Film & Animation competition- Less than 4 weeks to go! Win £1000

Default IFE Film & Animation competition- Less than 4 weeks to go! Win £1000

ENTER OUR VIDEO COMPETITION NOW TO WIN £1000!
    Plus 5 runners-up prizes of Total Film or 3D World Animation magazine subscriptions.
    Video has the power to inspire; to make us think differently; to spark our imagination. IFE Services, one of the world's leading in-flight entertainment providers, wants you to create a brilliant, original, eye-catching short video about in-flight entertainment (IFE).
    It could be about the history of IFE, the way airline passengers engage with IFE, the future of IFE... it's up to you. We just want you to create a fantastic, inspiring video about the subject of IFE to help us promote our industry to a wider audience.
    Please send your entries to Adrian Lambert, Head of Marketing, IFE Services: adrian.lambert@ifeservices.com
    Good luck!

Just a few rules:

• Entries must be submitted by Friday 14th December 2012.
    • Video length must be no more than 2 minutes.
    • Videos must be submitted in Quicktime, AVI or MP4 format.
    • Submissions must be entrant's own work and you must own all copyrights.
    • Once submitted, the video becomes the property of IFE Services Ltd.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Once submitted, the video becomes the property of IFE Services Ltd.
    I was interested until I read that part.

There seems to be an general increase in these 'competitions' as part of company's 'social video marketing'. Recently, a similar contest was run by SmartCar and Aviva. Their rules covered about 8 pages of text. This competition from IFE only contain 5 rules.
    From my amateur status, there is little to lose from entering. But I find the 'ownership' aspect as being very unfair and intensely rude.
    IMHO, whilst it might be reasonable the Winner's clip should be able to be used in any way the company wants; it is deceitful for them to take ownership of all submitted videos. It stinks of a condition where the organisers can cheat, by giving the prize to one of their own staff (or no-one at all); and be able to be own any number of good marketing videos.
    I regret that it sounds a cheap way to get free marketing videos for a company.

Here is how it works:

- the contest rules say that you give up the ownership of your video
    - anybody with a good video doesn't enter because they don't want to miss out on a chance that the video might take off
    - people with not-so-good videos (like myself) thus have a chance to win 1000 crispy samolians

I like the odds.

Go for it Zam.

'It stinks of a condition where the organisers can cheat, by giving the prize to one of their own staff (or no-one at all); and be able to be own any number of good marketing videos.'

I am sorry that you think this may be the case, as a member of the graphics department I can regretfully assure you that no member of the company is allowed to enter therefore eliminating any possibility of the mentioned 'cheating' above. The main reason for stating that the video will become property of IFE is to assure that whoever wins the competition does not try to claim royalties should the video become sucesful and widely used, I am confident whoever wins the competition will get much credit for their work and plenty of publicity for winning on the IFE website, not to mention a welcome £1000 pize!
    Last edited by antharding; 11-27-2012 at 04:59 PM.

The odds are definately very good! We have had no entries yet with little over 2 weeks until the deadline, even if you submit a 30 second clip, I would say it is well worth a shot. If i was allowed to enter, i definately would!

I did not wish to appear disrepectful, and indeed I hope it all goes well. I had wondered (I am just being nosey) why the rule "Once submitted, the video becomes the property of" applied to all submissions; and not just the winning entries.
    (Two weeks left? Sadly, I don't think I can compete with zamiotana.)

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    I did not wish to appear disrepectful, and indeed I hope it all goes well. I had wondered (I am just being nosey) why the rule "Once submitted, the video becomes the property of" applied to all submissions; and not just the winning entries.
    (Two weeks left? Sadly, I don't think I can compete with zamiotana.)
    Hi, don't worry, I understand why people can be negative about these kinds of competitions. Just to clear up however, I have spoke to the marketing manager who assures me that whoever wins the competition will be able to keep it in their portfolio and use it on their showreel as their own work. We are not trying to claim that we produced the winning video, but we also want to make sure that we are able to use and promote it as we wish amongst the usual social media websites. I understand what you are saying about all videos submitted being the property of IFE, This should really have been 'All winning entries...' as you suggested. I hope this doesnt put too many people off, any entries really do stand a very good chance! Many Thanks, Ant.

ENTER OUR VIDEO COMPETITION NOW TO WIN £1000!
    Plus 5 runners-up prizes of Total Film or 3D World Animation magazine subscriptions.
    + Obvious other OP stuff.

The main reason for stating that the video will become property of IFE is to assure that whoever wins the competition does not try to claim royalties should the video become sucesful and widely used, I am confident whoever wins the competition will get much credit for their work and plenty of publicity for winning on the IFE website, not to mention a welcome £1000 pize!
    The main reason for stating that the video will become property of IFE is to assure that whoever wins the competition does not try to claim royalties should the video become sucesful and widely used

We are looking to “buy”, for the sum of one thousand pounds sterling, video’s for marketing purposes and are offering contact details for “proposals” which may be on offer. Full terms and conditions of contract will be supplied in advance and signed in full before commencement and will be furthered at progressive stages. On completion of the final contracts all financial rights will be transferred to IFE (link would have been provided if OP supplied).

Refused hours of work will be covered by the means of a good will payment to the, otherwise chosen, top 5 considerations by the means of a generously offered “Total Film” or “3D World Animation” magazine subscription.

Sound good? Maybe a bit more like getting towards the normal video production process while being a bit more covered than the competition cover story?

David.

Edit: P.s. "The times they are a changin"
    Last edited by david walsh; 11-28-2012 at 01:39 AM.