Thread: Capturing video on Handycam

Default Capturing video on Handycam

Hi everyone.

I am having an awful lot of trouble capturing video from my Handycam DCR-HC36 to my computer. Some say on this model it can't be done except with firewire, but Sony says it can using USB cable, yet my Handycam isn't recognized by PMB or Windows LIve Movie Maker, although it seems to appear in Device Manager.

Any help and advice is much appreciated.

If your footage was recorded to the memory stick, then you should be able to find it in a new folder under "My Computer" once the USB is plugged into you computer.

If your footage was recorded to the DV tape, then you will be able to access the data via IEEE1394 (firewire) between your camera and the computer, from within your editing software.

I am not aware of any capability to access footage on a DV tape via USB, but that isn't to say it isn't possible! If Sony does support this then they will also have supplied you with a driver (was there a software CD with your camera?). The camera will then be accessible from within your editing software, just as if it was firewire.

Zam

Thanks for your advice; I have just this minute visited Sony's website and they say 'The USB streaming feature is not supported with the Windows 7 operating system.' So this means I have to get a firewire, and my laptop doesn't have a port for that - isn't there some way to get the video out of the camcorder usimg the USB feature?? I have already installed driver that came with cam.
    Last edited by jrwb; 11-20-2012 at 10:13 PM. Reason: better

Your local electronics store should sell a firewire card for your computer

Good advice, but take yr camcorder along = check it's OK before parting with cash. I read somewhere that you need a Firewire adaptor card . . . not a USB/Firewire device which supports some Firewire use, but not camcorders.

Maybe consider an old desktop for Editing? . . . or at least sorting out those Firewire shots . . . I bought a 4+6-wire Firewire PCI card ( 10, I think) and that works fine on Win7/32 with a (tape) Sony camcorder borrowed recently.

Mine imports using Vegas (Movie Studio).File/"Import from DV"- or similar - not the easiest routine, when compared to SD flash-memory, which is simple by comparison . . . and much faster, too.

As vidmanners pointed out, DO NOT BUY A FIREWIRE TO USB CONVERTER

You need to buy a firewire card for your computer

I seem to have solved the problem by downloading an XP compatible driver and adjuting its compatability to Windows seven - it works. Thanks for all advice given.