View Poll Results: Wich one do you prefer?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • raw

1 20.00%
  • little contrast

4 80.00%
  • colour + more contrast

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please vote on best version

Default Please vote on best version

Please help with your opinion. Exactly the same video, but with 3 little differences. As I dont have access to a monitor colour checking system, Im never sure about how people see my posted videos at Vimeo.... if they are too dark, too bright, saturated, unsaturated, etc..

Please have a quick look at the 3 videos below and tell me which one you prefer. As well as the other usual impressions, sound etc.... (except the bright huge square on her right eye, that I lament already...)

EDITED: the links below are not working (deleted files). But the "final videos are here and also following a small variation on colour/brightness/contrast. The good side of making videos for fiends is that we can learn something from them too!!

= raw from camera

= little contrast work

= little grading + more contrast

Since its a comparison of the same video I didnt start a separate thread for each. Hope its ok. Also tried a poll, but Im not sure if/how it works.

Thanks, Tony
    Last edited by TonyBR; 11-24-2012 at 06:09 PM.

(given my lack of skills in this area, please count me a half a vote).
    1) looked ok
    2) looked best
    3) looked too dark.

Comment: I thought her highlights (eg tip of nose, top of cheekbone) looked rather bright; almost as if some more face powder was required. To me, that made it harder choosing which clip I preferred.

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    (given my lack of skills in this area, please count me a half a vote).
    1) looked ok
    2) looked best
    3) looked too dark.

Comment: I thought her highlights (eg tip of nose, top of cheekbone) looked rather bright; almost as if some more face powder was required. To me, that made it harder choosing which clip I preferred.
    Thanks Tim! We were powdering frequently, but my lighting skills are too far from even acceptable.... Followed all the 3 point tutorials I could find, but experience is what really counts.... Learning, step by step.

Blog Entries

Agree with TimA. 2 was best. With 3 her hair disaapeared into the black of the background - a little backlighting would have helped here.
    Tim

I voted for the middle one.

I'm not a big expert, so I'm not sure how you would set up your colors for Vimeo, short of posting your video, fixing the problems and posting it again.

Back in the day, we recorded color bars at the head of the tape and used them to adjust the monitor but I don't know if anybody does that in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Agree with TimA. 2 was best. With 3 her hair disaapeared into the black of the background - a little backlighting would have helped here.
    So it seems that I have the same view here at home as you there. The n. 3 is quite dark to me too . I had 2 softboxes in front (500W each) and a 150W rim/back light (top right - left of the model). I believe that the nose highlight came from this backlight. Probably needed a "snoot" (?).. The model was 1 meter in front of the black paper background, and 4.5meters from the camera. Filmed with full zoom to avoid details of background.

Tim, what about the sound? Too bad? I used a simple (not expensive or big brand) lapel mic...

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    I voted for the middle one.

I'm not a big expert, so I'm not sure how you would set up your colors for Vimeo, short of posting your video, fixing the problems and posting it again.

Back in the day, we recorded color bars at the head of the tape and used them to adjust the monitor but I don't know if anybody does that in 2012.
    I always tape the colour bar from the camera, but I guess I should tape a real (the one we actually handle I mean!! ) colour bar too, right? My main concern is brightness and contrast, as Im never sure about my settings of the monitor used to edit... I reckon there are some gadgets to "fix" the rights and wrongs, but they are too expensive on this side of the ball....

Thanks for helping Zamiotana.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBR View Post
    Tim, what about the sound? Too bad? I used a simple (not expensive or big brand) lapel mic...
    Sounded good to me. There's a bit of hiss I can pick up in cans, but I'd imagine it's not noticable on most speakers. I suspect it could easily be removed, but I wonder whether the quality of the voice muight suffer as a result.
    Tim

I voted for No.2 as well. Your back light seems so subtle that it's un-noticeable. There was something terribly wrong with the sound, I couldn't understand a word.

Nmero Dois
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast