Thread: Canon EOS 550d footage. Need to convert format/codec?

Default Canon EOS 550d footage. Need to convert format/codec?

Hi
    I've got footage from my Canon EOS 550d to produce a fast paced nightclub music video, and I'm SURE I've read before that I need to convert it or change the codecs or something to make it easier to edit in the software (Premiere/AE), but cannot find the video/webpage that I read! :'(

So, what really should I do with my footage before putting it into Adobe Premiere to edit?

I would just put it into Premiere and see if you have a problem first.

Adobe are very happy with shouting from the rooftops that editing DSLR footage natively from the camera is a highlight of their software.

Try it and see what happens!

Which version of ppro are you running?

Quote Originally Posted by MKN View Post
    Hi
    I've got footage from my Canon EOS 550d to produce a fast paced nightclub music video, and I'm SURE I've read before that I need to convert it or change the codecs or something to make it easier to edit in the software (Premiere/AE), but cannot find the video/webpage that I read! :'(

So, what really should I do with my footage before putting it into Adobe Premiere to edit?
    Hi, everything is there
    Transcoding Canon T2i 550D Mov Files for Sony Vegas Editing
    I compared editing in both, native 550D/600D (I think it's h264) and that converted avid format (the files are huge), there is a notable quality difference between both once you start playing with curves and whatnot.
    and the exporting/rendering is also significantly faster

Blog Entries

My three year old laptop edits native 550d 1080p files fine in cs5. All I do is rename the extension to mpeg to get around a bug. Note that my laptop has an ssd as the boot drive, with all video files on a seperate drive (in place if the optical drive).

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    My three year old laptop edits native 550d 1080p files fine in cs5. All I do is rename the extension to mpeg to get around a bug. Note that my laptop has an ssd as the boot drive, with all video files on a seperate drive (in place if the optical drive).
    I'm not saying that the format is not handled, rather, that if you plan to work on your images (levels, contrasts, whatever effects), the results and the processes will indeed work better in that AVID codec than they do if I use the native h264 files. I've tried on both premiere CS and Vegas, both are supposed to be able to handle h264 natively, and both actually do, but there is a significant result difference if you compare a modified image from that h264 file with an identically modified image from an AVID coded file. I can go much further using avid files and it's definitely easier on the computer. I've done both (I used the native h264 at first) and I have actual examples if you really can tell there's a huge difference.