Thread: Best Format for a Web Whiteboard Animation?

Default Best Format for a Web Whiteboard Animation?

Hey Peeps!

There are so many codec options in Vegas, I don't really know where to get started. We're creating a whiteboard animation, 80% black and white and 20% color. The video is approximately 30 minutes long and will be streamed from an Amazon S3 server. Size is very important, as we'll be driving a lot of web traffic and the server costs will be substantial. So we're trying to get the smallest file size possible, without losing audio or video quality. Also, the output has to work on both PC and macs without plugins and can't look interlaced. Any advice you can offer would be appreciated.

Basically, questions are:

1) What format should we export our video in?
    2) I've heard of people rendering whiteboard animations to 15 FPS. Is that going to be noticeable? Or is that a decent way to reduce file size?

Thank you so much!

- Derek

In my (very humble) opinion:
    My vote is for the MP4 container format and H.264 video codec.

If you want to keep the file size small because you don't want folk to have to wait; then best consider what Connection speed the average viewer will be using. You may find some of this thread ( interesting. That may help you determine what your target files size should be.

Whether or not 15fps will look nice is largely dependant on how fast (and how far) objects move on the screen.