Thread: Getting Business

Default Getting Business

I have been doing wedding videos for a year and a half now and in total filmed 8. The first few were freebies so I could learn the craft and get examples for my website. The others were through word of mouth. I know that more established wedding video companies in my area do 50 - 60 a year. My question is: How do they get so much business? I have done one wedding show and got just 4 bookings for that next year. Should I be hitting as many wedding shows as I can and start advertising in local wedding magazines?

Thanks for your help.

Surrey, UK
    Blog Entries

You haven't said whereabouts you are. Different countries/localities probably respond differently to different forms of marketing. How much did the wedding fair cost and how long were you there? I would have imagined that four sucessful conversions from one event is pretty good - especially for a young business such as yours.

I appreciate you're probably concerned about people thinking you're spamming the site, but I don't think posting your website address here so that people an comment both on that and on the sample vids you've posted would be considered such.

As for you basic question - the answer is in the question - how do established compabies get 50-60 bookings per year? Because they are established! As a punter who are you going to trust more to do a good job - the firm that is producing 50-60 per year or the firm that produces half a dozen?

This is not to say that they actually do produce consistently good material (the firm that did my daughter's school photographs this year has caused the school to receive many, many complaints) but just that you have to work harder to get your name and reputation "out there"

Thanks for the advice Tim.

my website is Wedding Video Essex Remember The Day Films and I'm based in Essex, UK.
    The wedding fair i did cost 600 and was over two days. I saw over 100 couples and thought I'd get more than just 4 bookings.

Does anyone have advice on how to 'get my name out there'

Hi! As one of 'those' companies that have regularly hit 50 weddings per year I can confirm you've made a good start by marketing yourslef at a high end wedding show.
    Cheap weddings shows attract many who are just browsing for the cheapest suppliers and the high end wedding shows where visitors have to pay an entrance fee and a fashion show is included are usually the best ones for business.
    You attracted 4 bookings, which, if you do a good job, will attract another couple of their friends to book you too. So before you know it, you have a couple of dozen friends booking you from the initial 4.
    When we attended the higher end wedding shows, we regularly booked 10 from each show, not immediately and sometimes it took a few months before they made a decision, but if you made an impression, they'll remember you.
    I'm sure after your first show, you can see where you could have improved in your presentation, I know we did and tweaked it till it squeaked, the next time.
    It's no use playing clips from actual weddings at a show, as you've no time to elaborate on these details, so we used to have a 2 minute clip full of high impact scenes that was guaranteed to catch their eyes in the 20 seconds or so that they walked past our stand. With very few exceptions it worked every time!
    The next stage is 'make them like you'! - People buy from people they like, not usually the cheapest product or service. so liking you is the key.
    I could go on for hours on what makes a successful wedding video company, but enough for now and I wish you luck!
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Thanks Zero,

So getting lots of bookings is matter of time and referrals - I won't quit my day job just yet then

Any comments on my videos and website are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by mjkersh77 View Post
    Thanks Zero,

So getting lots of bookings is matter of time and referrals? Cheers
    Partly! - Lots of bookings come from producing great work and marketing that and yourself via wedding shows/website/social media.
    Put a few clips up on facebook (CF music) and invite clients/friends to comment also adds to your armoury.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Surrey, UK
    Blog Entries

I've just had a look at your site and whilst it looks fine to my untrained eyes, I'd suggest it needs some severe editing in terms of cntent.

I randomly selected "Sharon & Lewis" (as a potential customer mights) and the video opened with appalling audio, clearly recorded from a mic placed some distance away (probably on camera). I couldn't belive this so I looked at the others. Louise and Paul was OK, Carly & Chris was OK although it again was clearlt recorded at some distance and we could hear all sorts of talking over it which you had tried to mask with some music, Rachel and James was as bad as Sarah and Lewis and Clare and Jaques was pretty poor.

I'm not being fussy. Remember I'm looking at random and the very first thing I saw on a video had decidedly poor audio. Certainly not what I would expect from a pro.

I appreciate you sell yourself on being discrete (not noticed on the day) but if your client wants speeched recorded they will have to wear a wireless or some other mic mich closer. note they were happy to use the PA mic - perhaps you could get sound from this (but this ratehr relies on the speaker being au fait with using a mic.

I suspect you've learned from what you've done and your sound is already much improved, but your website gives the impression it isn't. So drop those scenes. Don't advertise your weakness.

Another thing that struck me, glancin through the videos, is that they all seem very similar, structured the same, have the same shots. This is no bad thing from your point of view - if you have a planned formula that works, this can help efficiency.

In terms of the website, this means you only need show one or two of the better ones, or a compilation from your very best clips of each "section".

Whilst working to a formula may well produce the best results, it's not necessarily a good idea showing half a dozen very similar videos to your prospects. Each bride and groom will want to be made to feel you're doing something special, something just for them. Looking at the selection on the website they might be inclined to feel they're just going to be "processed" in a mass produced way.

I think you've got plenty of good stuff there, I just think it's not working for you the way it could be.

Of course I might well be wrong, but that's just the way I see it.

BTW I am not a pro, and know nothing about wedding videography, other than I know I'm not the sort of person who would thrive on the excitement of having to be in exactly the right place at the right time with the camera and sound all setup perfectly to capture this important moment, followed by the same again for that important moment etc. But I do have a daughter in her twenties and a stepdaughter who's 19 so I'm potentially your market.

Thanks for the comments Tim I appreciate it.
    Yes the audio during speeches isn't the best as everyone use's PA systems (if the venue have a bad muffled PA system setup then my mics pick this up). I use 3 mics, one placed on the main table and the others around the room. I'll have to tweak these in adobe Audition. During the ceremony I put a clip mic on the groom which pics up brilliant audio from the groom, bride and officiant, I tried this during the speeches but the PA system just drowns it out.
    When I get a few wedding videos under my belt I'll try and experiment a little with the promos. But my aim with them is for the bride & groom themselves and their family to see a 3-4 mins highlight of their day. Maybe I should do a separate showreel video for potential customers.

[1] Your particular business is a poster child for Adsense. You can use it to place ads targeted to your keywords "getting married" or some such and your location (as specific as you want). You only pay for the impressions that are served up against your filters. A batch of a thousand ad impressions will cost you a few dollars.

[2] Planning a wedding is a step-by-step thing and the photographer gets picked in the step just before the videographer. I would get to know the top wedding photographers in your area and figure out how they can point their customers at you.

[3] If wedding planners are popular in your area, they need to know who you are.

[4] Exploit a niche market -- for example, you could advertise in an LGBT magazine.

Oh and I almost forgot ...

[5] Every bride wants to look beautiful; your website should focus on close-up pictures of the most striking brides that you have ever captured on video; this will make up for any technical deficiencies in your demo shots such as poor sound, forgetting to remove the lens cap, filming directly into the sun, etc. If you don't have any drop-dead-gorgeous bride photos to put on your site, then you will need to focus on getting those first.

Last edited by zamiotana; 11-19-2012 at 07:51 PM.