Thread: New! Constructive Critics Welcome

Lightbulb New! Constructive Critics Welcome

Hello everyone I'm new to this website and fairly new to making fan videos. I started about 7 months ago. I'm using Sony Vegas and I mostly make fan videos for Doctor Who but I also do movies and other shows that I like. Just wondering if I could get some insight on what I'm doing from strangers. I'll link you to my youtube channel and you can pick what ones you want to see.
    Some other stuff about me I'm from New York, I'm 22 years old, and I'm in college for legal studies. Not sure if you wanted to know that... but you do now XD

cheezit3141 - YouTube
    Last edited by Mnemosyne; 11-19-2012 at 06:49 AM.

I watched "Doctor Who Right Place Wrong Time", but I am not a fan of fan-videos. I could not see any relationship between the shots, or any obvious reason for the order they were shown. Also, I did not understand the relevance of the audio track. Can you write a few sentences to explain what exactly you were trying to do? It seems odd, given the huge amount of material available, why those clips were included; and the order in which they appeared.

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    I watched "Doctor Who Right Place Wrong Time", but I am not a fan of fan-videos. I could not see any relationship between the shots, or any obvious reason for the order they were shown. Also, I did not understand the relevance of the audio track. Can you write a few sentences to explain what exactly you were trying to do? It seems odd, given the huge amount of material available, why those clips were included; and the order in which they appeared.
    I was going based on how the Doctor never seems to go where he wants to, he just kind of arrives at these crazy situations unprepared. The clips I chose where just examples of these moments I guess... I don't know what to say if it confused you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mnemosyne View Post
    I don't know what to say if it confused you.
    And that is one of the problems facing an editor/director.

You become so close to your subject, you are totally familiar with it and understand the significance of every clip, every cut. You become blind to what someone without that knowledge sees. It is your job as an editor/director to explain that to the viewer by directing their concentration in a certain way. Now you explain, it is clear that the clips showed "he just kind of arrives at these crazy situations unprepared", but this should really be explained somehow in the video. And this still doesn't answer the reason you chose this particular order.
    Tim

Hi, I watched 2 or 3, as a Dr who fan myself I think that you could have improved things by including the sound from the clips, the things that the characters are saying would enhance the video, but also inform those who aren't familiar with the Dr himself? Just a thought, and just one way you could do it. I appreciate it would take longer to source the clips where image and sound match your purpose, but as TimAndrews says, there's a huge amount of material to choose from.