Thread: The Big Picture

1. Default The Big Picture

This is a simple timelapse of not more then 1000 shots. I am still experimenting with this .... and still struggling to perfect it. Do give me your feedback.

I think you made a good job with this. I liked the movement you put into it, especially the big move at around 0:44. I don't know why but the zoom ins don't work as well as the zoom outs, I'm sure there is a technical reason for that but I don't know what it is. One thing I wouldn't have done is the big change of lighting around 1:40-1:45 a number of times. It looked great once but then repeating it a couple of times lowered the wow factor for me. If you think you need to add something to a time laps to add interest you can always change the speed. So the big wheel wizzes round really fast.

It seems perfectly exposed which means it's just a little to light for my personal taste, I usually like things slightly under exposed. Which really shows even when it's right you can't please everybody. The point I'm trying to make is, you are doing things your way and should keep doing that, even if someone tells you they don't like it. You can't please all the people all the time.

You did please me with this video. Well done.

I think you're on your way to almost cracking what it is you really want to do with this. It's obvious you have mastered the skill, you have an awesome canvas there to work with, and you are now playing around with it.

Next step will be the real progress. you can start to create on top of what you have.

I loved the little boat, so much character, (shame it slowed down), but you could take that stuff anywhere you want to.

Blog Entries

Very nice indeed. A niggle - the first dissolve to daylight @ around 1:40, the wheel is out of sync. I would have thought getting it in sysnc is impossible to do - execpt you managed it (or at least as near as dammit) in the other similar transitions.
    How did you fiollow the boat? Was this zoomed in from a higher res image?
    Tim

Thank you. I enjoyed watching that. 1000 images over almost 3 mins gives almost 7fps. I know nothing of the capabilities of the camera, or your average shutter speed; but what was the limiting factor when choosing the frequency of taking the pictures?

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I think you made a good job with this. I liked the movement you put into it, especially the big move at around 0:44. I don't know why but the zoom ins don't work as well as the zoom outs, I'm sure there is a technical reason for that but I don't know what it is. One thing I wouldn't have done is the big change of lighting around 1:40-1:45 a number of times. It looked great once but then repeating it a couple of times lowered the wow factor for me. If you think you need to add something to a time laps to add interest you can always change the speed. So the big wheel wizzes round really fast.

It seems perfectly exposed which means it's just a little to light for my personal taste, I usually like things slightly under exposed. Which really shows even when it's right you can't please everybody. The point I'm trying to make is, you are doing things your way and should keep doing that, even if someone tells you they don't like it. You can't please all the people all the time.

You did please me with this video. Well done.
    Thanks much for your comments. The zooming in out technique of mine needs refinement. But your comments adds quite a bit of ideas to perhaps my next timelapse experiment. And yes, so true, we can't please everyone all the time.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Very nice indeed. A niggle - the first dissolve to daylight @ around 1:40, the wheel is out of sync. I would have thought getting it in sysnc is impossible to do - execpt you managed it (or at least as near as dammit) in the other similar transitions.
    How did you fiollow the boat? Was this zoomed in from a higher res image?
    Thanks for the comments. Yes, the wheel is out of sync. I gave up syncing it properly as the rendering was real slow with this large image. But anyway, I think i managed to correct it already on the revised version.
    As for the boat, I zoomed in from the high res image.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    Thank you. I enjoyed watching that. 1000 images over almost 3 mins gives almost 7fps. I know nothing of the capabilities of the camera, or your average shutter speed; but what was the limiting factor when choosing the frequency of taking the pictures?
    Thanks! Well, its not 7fps. Technically, its still a 24fps video. The main limitation for choosing the frequency is how I want the moving subject to behave in the sequence of shots and also the lighting condition. In this case, its the traffic trails lights and low noise clean iso images. If I am not wrong, its just 1.6 secs exposure per shot every 2 secs.