Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "In the streets of Barcelona" - Mini-Doc on Street Musicians

1. Default "In the streets of Barcelona" - Mini-Doc on Street Musicians

Hey guys,

I was in Barcelona two weeks ago and was travelling around while I felt enchanted by this instrument's sound: it's called Hang, or space drums. I've never seen a street band gather so many tourists while in BCN, so I stayed around also.

Funny story though, this brazilian lady started talking to me and I then realized she traveled to BCN in the same plane as I did. She recognized me, and little did I know, she was the girlfriend of the guy playing Hang.

So I had my camera and my newly bought Tascam DR-40 (no external mics though) and decided this was a great opportunity to get out of my confort zone and try this out. Taped the concert, got some clips of the tourists and then interviewed the brazilian guy.

This is my first attempt at a mini-doc. Lots of mistakes here, but we gotta do things and try them out to know where do we fail and what do we have to get better at. The sound is also not perfect, but all-in-all I think the end project was pretty nice for the first time I did something totally improvised.

I'd love if you could watch it and give me some criticism Hope you enjoy it!

I think you did a good job for your first go at something like this. In videos like this I always like to see extreme close ups of the instruments.

Blog Entries

Looked good and sounded good. When it's appropriate, such as here, built in mic on your Tascam do a percfectly good job. It's not a concert recording and it's not a dubbed voiceover so some background noise is not only acceptable, it's desirable.
    Tim

4. Default

Midnight Blue: I'm afraid I only have a 18-55mm and a 50mm, so I'd have to get pretty close to them to have close ups, which I didn't want to do so I wouldn't distract the tourists from their show. Trying not to be too invasive, but you're right, that would be super!

Tim: I had problems with built in mics because I've never heard them sounding so good. So I was reaaaally impressed with the Tascam. I only had a really loud air conditioner sound on the interview, but a little EQ and the background music helped hiding it properly.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, thanks a lot for the comments, keep them coming guys

Blog Entries

This is great. Loved it. I did however feel distracted by the small subtitles. I wanted to know what he was saying, but as the subtitles were so small and low down, it meant I missed the action.

6. Default

First time I ever subtitled any of my videos Marc Peters. I tried to think as a designer, and apparently ended up having something that suits in the video but doesn't work in what it should work. Thanks for pointing that out, I'll be aware of it the next time I subtitle anything

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    I did however feel distracted by the small subtitles.
    Subtitles really have to be designed for the medium on which they're be played back. I agree the subtitles are too small in a YouTube window, but they struck me as a very similar size to the subtitles we might see on a TV. When I watched full screen (23" LCD monitor) they were perfectly clear - even with my eyesight.
    I would, however, agree they were a tad low - especially for viewing on a TV screen where the outer edges are ofte cropped.
    Tim

I think you did every shot by the textbook, and showed why the textbook exists, it was a very smooth production.

Subject left of center with the steps swinging left to right away from him - perfect.

Soft focus beyond the corner of the walls for the clarinet player- nice.

I'm intrigued how you have obtained 381 views for this on Youtube in one week? It's kind of unbelievable, are you a pimp the link whore, or do Brazilians just have lots of relatives?

Loved it, really nicely shot and the sound was cool. Only problem was the subtitling, apart from the size my pet hate with subtitling is white letters on a white or light background as it make's them difficult to read.

There are a couple of workarounds, either have them a different colour, like yellow or have a semi opaque background for them. Also I like to see them done creatively when the subject is about creativity, so not necessarily having them appear bottom centre, experiment with them appearing in different parts of the screen.

Keep up the good work.

http;//www.rolirivelino.com

10. Default

Thank you Stripe, I'm very glad to hear that!

I'm more of a "pimp the facebook page" whore (which, by the way, you can find here: Revisitar Produções Audiovisuais | Facebook), and then my friends do the rest by sharing the video online.

I was really lucky with the other video I have on this forum (the one about Guimarães). There was so much facebook sharing of the video that, eventually, a lady that works on the organisation of the European Capital of Culture found it and shared it on their official facebook. Now we have 4161 views in 20 days, amazing! Social networking can be really helpful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast