Thread: Lapel Mic picking up other presenter too much

Default Lapel Mic picking up other presenter too much

Hi, I have been shooting a studio based show and have bought two Rode Lavalier mics, But I have noticed that when presenter one speaks, the mic picks up presenter two as well, and vice versa, this makes for quite a horrible audio mix when in editing.
    as its not quite clear enough to be used, but loud enough to create a problem when the audio from the two mics is mixed. Besides going through my audio and lowering the levels manually

is there an easier way to record this so that the mic only pics up the voice from the person it is attached to?

I use adobe cs6

i also have a mixing desk but as audio is not my thing, I could use some help here.

Thanks

Sru

The only advice I can think of is to move the presenters apart a bit and lower the recording level. Apart from that you might have to look at getting something more directional.

R They coming in on different channels, or via the same input?
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Blog Entries

There are two ways of doing this after you've done what Midnight suggested and moved the speakers a bit further apart and positioned the microphones correctly. About 30 cm from the mouth, clipped on the lapel or tie is about right.

The best way for you would probably be to record each mic on a separate channel and then alter the levels in post production, mixing them down to mono. The other way is to have a sound recordist doing it "live" during the recording.

Take this from the fact that I run sound for bands and for recrding but the same pricipal should apply, use a comp/gate/limiter on them to set the thresh-hold of what is picked up. This will limit sounds below a set volume from being picked up. Don't overdo it or the main content can have cut-outs as thier vocal volume changes. In live music this keeps other instruments on the stage from bleeding into the lead vocals and causing feedback. usually the hardware unit or software plugin is set to the "soft" attack mode for this type of use.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Sru_G28 View Post
    Hi, I have been shooting a studio based show and have bought two Rode Lavalier mics, But I have noticed that when presenter one speaks, the mic picks up presenter two as well, and vice versa, this makes for quite a horrible audio mix when in editing.
    as its not quite clear enough to be used, but loud enough to create a problem when the audio from the two mics is mixed. Besides going through my audio and lowering the levels manually

is there an easier way to record this so that the mic only pics up the voice from the person it is attached to?

I use adobe cs6

i also have a mixing desk but as audio is not my thing, I could use some help here.

Thanks

Sru

Hi Sru

I think your problem could be a lot to do with the lavalier mics.

Essentially there are 3 types of lav; open/wide/omni like the Tram TR50. Narrow/cardoid like the DPA 4080. Or tiny lavs used for scratch tracks like the Countryman B6.

Typically you would use the Tram on a presenter that stood close to an un-mic-ed subject. As the Tram is pretty omni if placed in the breast bone region of the presenter. Then the audio from both the subject and presenter can be recorded on the 1 channel. (providing they are no more than a metre apart). A Tram like mic is also very forgiving if the presenter moves their head around a lot. (perfect for a wedding video where the groom will be the only person mic-ed)

A narrow/cardioid lav like the DPA 4080 would be used for the opposite reasons. Where you would prefer there to be no bleed at all. Often used in controlled studio environments (like yours) or when there is a lot of ambient sound like in the street. Where the fall off at the sides is considerable. (kind of like using a long gun mic).

The thing is a lot of the less expensive lav mics like Rode or the bottom end Sennheisers like the ME4 tend to be omni by default. So this is where I believe your problem stems from.

Hiring a couple of hardwired DPA 4080 could be the answer.

wedding video London