8. You may not vote on this poll
  • With voice over

7 87.50%
  • Without voice over

1 12.50%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: With or without VO ?

Default With or without VO ?

What is the opinion of the forum of the two versions of this videos. Should it have the voice over or just the music ?

Video 1. A Candle A Life - YouTube

Video 2. Candles - YouTube

Please vote and say why you think that way.

Thanks.

Definitely with, I didn't even have to watch the second video to know that (I did though, just to make sure), the VO moves it along nicely and is a good script so the words and the pics just go together well.

There's not enough happening to hold it up without a VO, the imagery is lovely, especially love the spiral candle shot but I feel it need's the voice.

Nice work.

Video Production Services Company UK London

I agree. Full use of the medium.

Well, even though only three people have cast a vote so far it does look like the voice over is the one to go for, even though my wife wants to put the other one on her Facebook page.

Hi MB

Great footage!!!! There's something special about candles and fire in general ... nothing beats sitting next to a coal fire or a bomb fire .I think it's in our genes to be attracted to fire as it gives warmth and light which I imagine our ancestors valued to keep them safe during the night.

I voted for voice over it didn't take me long to decide after watching both videos.

So for me personally voice over wins hands down ..... however this is not to say the music only is not good .

Like I said great footage and the music only was still very good but the combination of the visuals, music and narration did it for me.

Loved the video MB

Thanks Bob. As always you have nice things to say.

Blog Entries

Obviously I've come along to put the dampener on things
    Very nice shots, appropriate music. Nicely narrated.

Definitely with - I'm with dariv on the "not enough happening front"

I watched and after a while my mind began to drift - what are these candles? Where are they? What has this to do with the script?

This is, of course, revealed in part at the end, but I'm afraid by then the magic had been destroyed for me by the distraction of not knowing the relevance. In other words the reveal occurred too late for me.

Having had "the reveal", I watched it again and worked much better with that knowledge - I could take in the script without being distracted by wondering what all these candles had to do with it.

And the reveal is incomplete. "Each candle represents a lost loved one" - there are a couple of hundred, maybe more candles. these are presumably not all the loved ones that one single person has lost and clearly they are not all the loved ones that have ever existed - for me there is simply not enough information to make it truly meaningful (I appreciate this isn't a documentary, that's not what I mean). So who lit them? Which loved ones do they represent? I suppose it doesn't matter, but it really frustrated me.

Technically:
    I found the music a little intrusive on occasions and struggled to hear the VO (struggled is far too strong a term, but is seemed daft to say I found it a bit inconvenient!).
    Nasty wobble just before the OOF at the end. Presumably you were zoomed in and your tripod wasn't man enough.

I do love these tyoes of films of yours, but because they are so intense they almost have to be better than perfect. I think "The Cook ..." is still the best example, because it is so personal.
    Tim

Are you the sort of person who looks at the end of a book before reading it ? I actually thought the title was clear enough, obviously it wasn't.

My intention with the voice over was to make the viewer think about life, where is it going for them, it's not going to last for ever etc. and to try a capture some of the poignancy I felt when I was there. It was part of the All Souls Day, which in the Christian calendar is a bit like Poppy Day but remembering friends and family who have died and not just soldiers. Each visitor to the chapel lit a candle to represent their lost loved one and placed in a spiral by the stewards. Which, when I was there, I found quite moving. I was trying to capture that feeling in the piece. BUT I was being distracting for the other people and staff and Mrs M thought it wasn't right, so I didn't stay until they reached the target of 800 candles.

I don't mind that not everyone gets it, I don't expect that but I think I did manage to capture enough of the flavour of the evening for some people to appreciate it.

It's hard to judge the volume of the music against the VO to get the right balance etc. I'll look into that and correct it. OR did you mean the music took to much attention because it was too interesting and this distracted from the VO? It's possible as the VO was an after thought.

The wobble at the end is a real pisser for me, I could have done a defocus in post on another clip but for some reason, I just wanted to use the shot I that I had. Illogical isn't it.

Anyway, thanks for watching Tim, I'll try to make my next video better than perfect.

Blog Entries

The title was perfectly clear - after I'd watched it the once! (Although I was none the wiser about the event and for whom the candles were lit.

It's very difficult to know what knowledge your audience already has. Explain everything and it appears condescending, explain not enough and they feel cheated. And of course evey member of the audience comes with a different knowledge base so it's impossible to get it right.

Thanks for the background. Now I know whose candles. Perhaps if you'd put a caption "All Soul's Day" at the beginning it would have made me feel I ought to know what it was about and therefore ignorant (as I clearly am). As it was I was just thinking "why are you showing me this".

As for the music - it was the volume, not the content. On just a couple of occasions it sounded like it interfered. Probably on other speakers it would sound different. Piano can be quite tricky as is shares a similar pitch and tone to the human voice.
    Tim

The title was perfectly clear - after I'd watched it the once!
    May be that is my mistake thinking that everyone would realise lighting a candle equals remembering the dead etc. Assumption being the mother of all cock ups.

I had no idea what All Soles Day was until Mrs M told me they were lighting loads of candles in one of the chapels of the minster, can you believe we were sat there having a bowl of soup just about to go home when she casually mentioned it.

[QUOTE][As it was I was just thinking "why are you showing me this"./QUOTE] Then I did get you to think, just not the right thoughts.

I did try and fit the VO to the music but spoke on top of a few plinks and plonks of the piano which I can adjust.

Thanks again Tim.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast