Thread: Change colour of text letter by letter

Default Change colour of text letter by letter

Hi,

I have been trying to figure out how to change the colour of text in sony vegas one letter at a time, such as in the intro of this video:

Gliding - Junior Worlds 2009 - YouTube

I'm using Sony Vegas Pro 11.

Cheers,
    Sam

Blog Entries

One method:

Have numerous text events - one for each "pair" of colours. For example, if your text is "Happy Birthday", used 13 events, the first with "H" colour A and the rest colour B, the second with "Ha"colour A and the rest colour B" etc.
    If you wanat movement similar to the example - use track motion.

Another method:

Make the text clear, but have a moving "mask" behind it of one colour, over a background track of another colour.
    Tim

I was hoping someone might have known an easier way, became a bit tedious with almost 50 letters.

Thanks!

Well, you do get Pro Type Titler with Vegas . . . And with PTT there are opportunities to Add controls to the Text "over time". The one adjustment you are looking for, character colour fill, "over time", isn't there. If you can dig it out, I'm all ears. Pity . . . .

... ...

Quote Originally Posted by Shonfield View Post
    I was hoping someone might have known an easier way, became a bit tedious with almost 50 letters.

Thanks!
    If the type is all on one line this is fairly easy using Tims second method. 3 tracks. Top track transparent text with black background. Second track wants to be a piece of solid media of the initial text colour. Third track should be a solid colour of the reveal or second colour. Then with the pan/crop tool or track motion move the second track colour to the right, revealing the third track colour. Use key frames to get the right speed of movement.

I think the easiest way would be to have two events of the same text but with different colours then over lap these events and put a wipe transition on it. The first method might be better for more control of the timing.

OK, using the Transition it's dead easy:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20371960/Vi...nging%201a.mp4

Blog Entries

Grazie's suggestion of ProType Titler got me thinking. You can't animate colour, but you can animate opacity.
    This is what I came up with. It has teh advantage in that text running over many lines will "flow" properly without resorting to two tracks per line.

Create the text in pro type titler in one colour on track one. On track 2 make a copy of the generated media.
    On track one, change the colour of the text to the "to" colour.
    On track one, keep selecting the "child" until just the first character is selected.
    Click "animate" next to Opacity and at frame 0 create a keyframe with opacity at 0%
    A bit further along create another keyframe with opacity at 100%
    Ensure you set the option to cascade and away you go.
    The upper track will fade in, letter by letter in the new colour.

To make the letter suddenly change colour (per the second example) rather than fade in (as the first example) just change the shape of the curve:

Sorry - embedding not working: Pro type Title Example - YouTube
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    This is what I came up with.

Pro type Title Example - YouTube
    This seems like a nice solution, I'll give it a go.

Thanks everyone!