Thread: Decapitation scene tips or advice? (Adobe After Effects)

Default Decapitation scene tips or advice? (Adobe After Effects)

Hey guys,

We are looking for advice on how to do a certain effect. To begin with, we have not filmed this yet, and so any tips for camera position/setup would be great!

The basic shot outline is that we have a man suspended from a tree with a rope around his ankle. The plan is that he has been decapitated, and so is hanging there without a head, possibly with blood trickling down from the open wound towards the floor. We have a very rough idea of how to possibly go about filming this, using a clean background plate and plenty of masks, however, our knowledge is quite basic, we know how to do a basic effect such as this, however making it look realistic is another thing entirely! Any and all ideas on how to approach this shot would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for any help you can give, even if it's just a small tip or technique we can use!

Sam, Rob and James (The OnlyEffects Team)

I am not an expert with these sorts of things but I was talking to someone who is. His advice to me was mix things between visual SFX and real/props. So this could mean, for your shots, using a dummy without a head and slap on loads of fake blood. Then add some extra dripping blood if needed in post. For any close ups use a real person and shoot from the neck up.

Depending on how good the dummy is you may need to not shoot too close up and do some fast cuts so we don't notice it's a dummy.

Hope this helps.

Might it also be useful to include a short close up of the separated 'head'? As that kind of scene is uncommon in my part of the world; as a viewer, I may need some extra cues to tell me (i.e. reinforce what has happened) that the head is missing.

If you go to YouTube and search "film riot decapitation" there is a video where he shows you how to decapitate someone. It is simple.