Thread: still looking for a pro hdv camera

Default still looking for a pro hdv camera

Hi
    I'm still looking for a hdv camcorder , ideally a Sony v1 fx1 or z1 to help me launch into asian wedding videography...
    I would appreciate any guidance you guys could give
    Thanks
    I'm currently studying the workings of Sony Vegas pro 11 and adobe
    Cs5 in order to help me with the editing side. But now need some practical experience with shooting video
    I did do a lot of wedding videos as a teenager however have been out of touch for a while now
    Like I say ... Any help advice and guidance will be greatly appreciated
    Thanks in advance
    Chad

Canon HV20 if your on a budget.

Hi
    Thanks for the suggestion
    I would much rather stick to the Sony pro / semi pro range
    I was thinking the FX1???
    Any suggestions??

I think if your going for tape HDV, I would stretch the budget to a Sony Z5, its better in low light than the others and has the facility to add on the memory card unit if you have the cash in the future. If your shooting weddings you need as good a cam in low light as possible, personally I never liked the Z1 but can live with the Z5 although I dont use it for weddings.

Steve

Hi Steve
    Thanks for the advice
    I haven't considered the Z5
    I will do a bit of digging and see how I get on ...
    The major factor for me will be the price at the moment as I am just starting out .... I know there will be loads that insist you get what you pay for and I agree with that philosophy myself however am hampered by budget at the moment ..,
    Thanks again

The snag is that the likes of Z1 still cost a lot and use tape (although there is a workable add-on at about 450 to flash-memory.).... but that's on the way to a newer camcorder without potential "drum-time" issues.
    However, without Wedding Vid experience OP is starting at the wrong-end IMHO... Far better to learn the Business and delay buying kit until needed; that way OP can see the pro's/Cons, as experienced on real jobs (while learning).

Not quite the "Pro-Quality" of the Z1 but OP might consider the CX730 which is supposed to have outstanding OIS, and is considerably lighter (two new for the price of one s/h), means he gets a back-up/or fixed view - and a back-up plan might save the day, even if the quality isn't "quite" as good. Most vids are DVD-quality and no-one really needs ultra HD.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 11-07-2012 at 12:26 AM.

Hi vid
    Thanks for the advice
    It is really appreciated and I will take it on board
    I have minimal experience of shooting wedding video albeit a good few years ago now. however I have found it really hard to try and get any hands on experience recently. I am based in Sheffield and although I am quit willing to become (free)runner for a videographer in order to learn the ropes, it's been difficult for me to get a look in so far
    A friend of mine does a few still wedding photography shoots , so my theory was to offer my videography service as an attachment to his photo shoots

So if there is anyone out there needing a runner, either for wedding or any other video productions, then by all means let me know
    Thanks again