Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going underwater - giant Manta rays...

Default Going underwater - giant Manta rays...

My first steps in underwater videography. I used to think that panning underwater should be so much easier than on land... you know, all that water cushion should help you to make every movement nice and smooth, right? Wrong! In fact, it very hard to do panning, zooming, and pretty much everything underwater! Limited control of camera functions, limited visibility, terrible lighting conditions, very impatient subjects, and most of all, unsteady environment. It's very hard to make your shots steady since water is very likely to move you around. And there is no tripod to help you!

Well, I think I like the challenge.

2. Default

Superb job! The music fit the scene extremely well! You managed to capture some stunning video, what amazingly graceful creatures. Were they not concerned with all the torches? It also looked like you were quite close?

Well done! I loved it Looks like the ending to an hour long documentary

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarboy2828 View Post
    Superb job! The music fit the scene extremely well! You managed to capture some stunning video, what amazingly graceful creatures. Were they not concerned with all the torches? It also looked like you were quite close?

Well done! I loved it Looks like the ending to an hour long documentary
    Thanks, man!

Picking the right music track usually takes me quite some time... thanks to SmartSound it's so much easier now...

I don't think Manta's mind the light at all - light means more food for them, and they need to eat a lot. I had a chance to talk more with Keller Laros - the founder of Manta Pacific Foundation - and I was impressed how serious they take the issue of preserving Mantas on Hawaii. Btw, in case someone wants to know more about this topic, here is another video: What is Manta ray night dive at Garden Eel Cove - YouTube

nice piece. One or two focusing issues but considering the conditions i think you did well. choice of music is important in these kind of projects and i think the music works very well here.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Great job Mrzee. I think I would crap myself if anything that size was swimming toward me, even though I know they only eat plankton.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Great job Mrzee. I think I would crap myself if anything that size was swimming toward me, even though I know they only eat plankton.
    Yeah... at first it does feel pretty creepy - it opens its enormous mouth and jaws and go right at you... (actually, at the light) but I think they are pretty smart not to harm you...

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    nice piece. One or two focusing issues but considering the conditions i think you did well. choice of music is important in these kind of projects and i think the music works very well here.
    Thanks, enc, sorry I missed you comment...

The focusing is an issue. Since I have a limited control over manual focus, I must rely on automatic. Camera overall does a great job, but not in cases when lighting conditions change quickly or object moves close/farther to/from the camera.

I wonder if that talk at the beginning wasn't too long/boring for a someone who's not exposed to scuba. I kinda aimed this video at people who are either divers or interested in scuba.

I wonder if that talk at the beginning wasn't too long/boring for a someone who's not exposed to scuba.
    I didn't think so, I thought it set things up nicely but I did make a video for a scuba club once.

Blog Entries

Excellent. I think the introduction talk was exactly the right length. It is not only relavant to people who scuba as it was not about equipment etc, but about how to attract the fish, how they "work". It gave meaning to what would otherwise have been "only" some pretty shots.
    The only think it seemd to lack was a natural conclusion - it's a bit of a disappointment when the credits come in. Perhaps some shots of the divers leaving the water and/or the boat mooring would close it off better (you could then show some more manta ray footage under the credits if needed - it works rather well being dark footage.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Excellent. I think the introduction talk was exactly the right length. It is not only relavant to people who scuba as it was not about equipment etc, but about how to attract the fish, how they "work". It gave meaning to what would otherwise have been "only" some pretty shots.
    Thank you, Tim. That's exactly what I've been "shooting" for - to make it meaningful and realistic to all viewers, not just professional scuba divers. The subject talked for quite some time, and it was all very interesting in its entirety, but it all would have been only interesting/relevant to a specific audience. There is actually a second clip, with the same underwater footage, but with more of more of him - just for the professional scuba diving community.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    The only think it seemd to lack was a natural conclusion - it's a bit of a disappointment when the credits come in. Perhaps some shots of the divers leaving the water and/or the boat mooring would close it off better (you could then show some more manta ray footage under the credits if needed - it works rather well being dark footage.
    Completely agree! I never thought about recording the leaving/ending part... now, I have a few more clips like this in the pipeline and they all lack the ending footage... I'd have to think of something...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast