Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Codec needed to edit .avi in vegas?

1. Default Codec needed to edit .avi in vegas?

I have a few files I've been meaning to play around with in Vegas for a while now but I can't import them at all. they are all .avi and the message it brings up is "None of the files dropped on Vegas Pro could be opened".

Thinking it may be codec based, I installed the Combined Community Codec Pack, but to no avail, what exactly am I missing as I remember Vegas doing it with a few .avi files I captured with my Gamebridge a few years back. What codec am I missing and how do I install it so I can use my .avi files with Vegas?

STOP!

OK, download G-Spot and MediaInfo and use them to ascertain just what IS within your AVI. Again, the SUFFIX AVI is only the wrapper or envelope. It is what is inside the wrapper that needs to be understood. Saying that Vegas doesn't open these few AVIs is like saying "I can't drive this car (AVI) when I fill it with diesel!" - yeah, 'cos the car (AVI) is a petrol vehicle.

You need the correct CODEC for that/those files that wont open. The trouble is that WHEN you download a bunch of CODECS you could've missed the actual ONE that you need. PLUS, and that's why I said STOP, is that you could innocently involve yourself in CODEC Wars. The symtom of this is that various bits of s/w that need to use a set of CODCES start fighting each other for supremacy in trying to use the one that they need. Result? Madness . . .

So, do as I suggest and get some knowledge about what IS inside that/those AVIs; read off the info and bring it back here.

... ... ... .

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    STOP!

OK, download G-Spot and MediaInfo and use them to ascertain just what IS within your AVI. Again, the SUFFIX AVI is only the wrapper or envelope. It is what is inside the wrapper that needs to be understood. Saying that Vegas doesn't open these few AVIs is like saying "I can't drive this car (AVI) when I fill it with diesel!" - yeah, 'cos the car (AVI) is a petrol vehicle.

You need the correct CODEC for that/those files that wont open. The trouble is that WHEN you download a bunch of CODECS you could've missed the actual ONE that you need. PLUS, and that's why I said STOP, is that you could innocently involve yourself in CODEC Wars. The symtom of this is that various bits of s/w that need to use a set of CODCES start fighting each other for supremacy in trying to use the one that they need. Result? Madness . . .

So, do as I suggest and get some knowledge about what IS inside that/those AVIs; read off the info and bring it back here.

... ... ... .
    Here are the results from G-Spot and Mediainfo

Mediainfo-

Good!

What you have there is Xvid. And what does that spell backwards? It spells DivX. Is your version of Vegas 64bit?

.. ... ....

5. Default

Good!

What you have there is Xvid. And what does that spell backwards? It spells DivX. Is your version of Vegas 64bit?

.. ... ....
    Yeah, I use 64bit, is that the issue here? it would be disappointing if it was.

Got it in one pal.

I have the full-monty of DivX installed. That reveals the DivX CODEC in Vegas. But only 32bit Vegas. Until there's a kosher plan for DivX or XviD for 64bit editing platforms - no dice. I can, and have used DivX as a rendering from within Vegas9 - but that was 32bit. I can use my PAID-for DivX encoder to produce DivX files exo-Vegas and I can then reopen them within 32bit Vegas. But they will NOT open in any 64bit version of the NLE.

So, you've learnt something today.

DivX is a delivery platform, it isn't meant for editing. Anyway why have you plumbed DivX<>XviD anyway?

Where, what and how did you get your Source video?

. . . . .. . . .....

7. Default

Got it in one pal.

I have the full-monty of DivX installed. That reveals the DivX CODEC in Vegas. But only 32bit Vegas. Until there's a kosher plan for DivX or XviD for 64bit editing platforms - no dice. I can, and have used DivX as a rendering from within Vegas9 - but that was 32bit. I can use my PAID-for DivX encoder to produce DivX files exo-Vegas and I can then reopen them within 32bit Vegas. But they will NOT open in any 64bit version of the NLE.

So, you've learnt something today.

DivX is a delivery platform, it isn't meant for editing. Anyway why have you plumbed DivX<>XviD anyway?

Where, what and how did you get your Source video?

. . . . .. . . .....
    It's old video I recorded with an Adaptec GameBridge. Is the best action plan to revert to 32Bit (2GB stick of ram just crapped out) or to just use a .avi converter? In which case I'd need to find a FOSS .avi converter that doesn't watermark and is free.

8. Default

Hi,
    I could handle the .AVI file into Vegas by using the XVid codec, available at Xvid.org: Home of the Xvid Codec (x86 and x64 bit).

9. Default

Transcode the xvid footage. I don't know vegas at all, but I've worked with a few other programs and I've found that it is such a mission to edit in "non-edit friendly" codecs. Trying to edit H.264 is nearly impossible, unless you want to pull your hair out. The render time is unbearable and even cut or move you make you have to re-render, what a nightmare.

If you want to get into video editing, do yourself a favour and buy a decent transcoder. Will save you hours down the line!

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarboy2828 View Post
    Transcode the xvid footage. I don't know vegas at all, but I've worked with a few other programs and I've found that it is such a mission to edit in "non-edit friendly" codecs. Trying to edit H.264 is nearly impossible, unless you want to pull your hair out. The render time is unbearable and even cut or move you make you have to re-render, what a nightmare.

If you want to get into video editing, do yourself a favour and buy a decent transcoder. Will save you hours down the line!
    Somebody actually bought me a transcoder(winavi converter) for christmas last year which isn't too bad. Unsure why they think I wanted it but it's coming in handy right now. I have a interview at Tees-Side uni for film and tv production and need a portfolio so just looking to do some last minute work. Really wish I'd set it all converting before I'd gone to bed though. 13 hours left for all of my .avi clips :X

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast