Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Hundred Dollars Challenge

Default One Hundred Dollars Challenge

Here's the video One Hundred Dollars Challenge - YouTube

This video was made by a friend of mine, I only had a small part in making it. I'm just wondering is the message of the video clear? And if you have any feedback on the quality of the video, and the message.

Hi Moldy, Or as we would say over here Mouldy. I'm not sure how most British people would understand this message but the video is not targeted at the British, so that's ok. I thought the message of the video came across fine, a bit long winded and perhaps idealistic and naive but the message was clear. Who has a spare $100 these days to give away?

By the way, I think we lost are freedom the moment someone told us we had the right to be free, before that we just were. Now we consider freedom has been given to us and thus the demise of our freedom started then and has gone down hill ever since. A clever trick by those who like to control us.

At the end of the day, if just one persons day is a bit brighter as a result of this video, then that's a great thing.

Good video, but I felt that it could be split into at least two different videos, I didn't feel that the theme of the first half of the film, necessarily went with the theme of the second. The depressing images of the first, weren't quite counterbalanced by the uplifting spirit of the second and I felt that the point of lobbying and corrupt government, though is a valid point adequately put, could and should stand as a video on its own; and lumping in those harrowing images of child prostitutes was deeply disturbing, but off point, I felt.

Also when you talked about lobbying and then went onto the hundred dollars challenge, I thought you were going to talk about some unique way that a large group of American citizens could lobby using cash and therefore somehow fighting big business, so that kind of lost me for a while, until you got into the explaining of what the hundred dollars challenge is.

The idea of brightening someone's life in some way by spending money on them is a good one and one that you should definitely dedicate an entire film to, CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM ALERT!! If I wasn't watching to critique, you would have lost me in the first half as it came across as a broadside attack on government in general, so if you do make the first video, I think you need to concentrate more on the lobbying if that's your focus.

I think the reason you asked whether your message was clear is because you yourself are not quite sure which messages you want to get across and so your passion for these issues has led you to cramming them all in and trying to use it to push your hundred dollars challenge, which by the way is the clearest message in the film.

My advice would be to re-edit and focus purely on the mechanics, motivations and people of the $100 challenge, then take a step back and think about turning the rest of it into at least a couple of different films in their own right.

Well done and keep up the good work.
    Video Production Services Company UK London
    Last edited by dariv; 10-31-2012 at 01:43 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moldytoaster View Post
    Is the message of the video clear?
    No. The first 3 minutes communicated a confused idealism. I made it through to the 4th, which finally arrived at the intended message, but even then it was confused. The message also proposed a capitalist solution to a proposed capitalist problem: giving money. I thought the message would have been about sharing: donating time and energy to a cause. Or, in line with the title, showing how you can survive without material objects by living on $100 for a month. I felt the actual message somewhat patronising.

Blog Entries

But we have that control already. Most people probably donate more than $100 per annum to charities of our choice.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    By the way, I think we lost are freedom the moment someone told us we had the right to be free, before that we just were. Now we consider freedom has been given to us and thus the demise of our freedom started then and has gone down hill ever since. A clever trick by those who like to control us.
    You do talk rubbish sometimes, Midnight. It's an argument that's impossible to argue with - like "You can't proove these is no God; therefore God exists"

Someone tells us we have a right to be free. I'm too busy listening to Led Zep to hear, but you're not. Therefore I'm still free but you've lost your freedom.

We are free to live as we like insofar as the society in which we live will allow. We can influence the rules of that society through democracy. If that doesn't give us the freedom we desire, we are free to leave that society and find another.
    We are lucky to be living in a society which allows us to do that.

My glass is half full today
    Tim

You do talk rubbish sometimes, Midnight. It's an argument that's impossible to argue with
    Yet, you still tried.

Blog Entries

Yet, you still tried.
    True. Very true. Sometimes I just can't resist:
    Tim

In Canada the government controls the population by regulating the supply of a delicious pastry called "Beaver Tails" (see photo). Personally I would recommend the "maple butter" beaver tail -- it's like swallowing a 5 lb bag of sugar all at once.799px-BeaverTail_pastry_Ottawa.jpg

I always say that the glass is half empty - because it has the potential to be full. That really confuses the positive brigade.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast