Thread: TV Cropping

Default TV Cropping

Hi

I am currently making a dvd in premiere 6.0. I have been printing to tape my avi. files so i can watch the video back on my TV.

When it plays on the TV the screen the video is cropped smaller so the edges of the video can't be seen. This is causing problems as i can't see all of the text i have used around the edges.

When i turn my avi. files to mpeg2s will the screen still be cropped when it plays on a PAL DVD player

Thanks alot if someone can tell me if the video will play fine on a dvd player (no cropping)

My AVI. files are 720 by 576

Nick

I believe they call it 'overscan'. On a TV, the edges intrude into the picture area, some more than others. With Premiere, you should stay within the 'title-safe' area - it's marked out on the preview screens.

Your mpegs will look the same, as far as I know - because picture dimensions remain the same, only the file size alters.

Nick - I'm afraid tone33 is right. Overscan is standard on all TVs - the only way you can get around it is by re-adding the titles.

Default Yo

Thanks for replying.

So the screen won't be cropped on dvd players? The video will only be available on dvd discs so that'll be ok ?

Cheers

nick

This effect will apply to all TVs whichever format you use. Unless you are solely using the DVD on PCs then the edged will have the "cropped" look on screen.
    Andy Holland
    www.andyholland.co.uk

Default Re: Yo

Quote Originally Posted by Gradad10
    Thanks for replying.

So the screen won't be cropped on dvd players? The video will only be available on dvd discs so that'll be ok ?

Cheers

nick
    It's not really relevant. No matter what format stuff is sent to a TV screen, it will always have overscan, whether it's broadcast, DVD or video. Overscan is a standard part of all TV-based displays.

Like Andy said - the only way you're going to see all of your footage is by watching it on a PC monitor (maybe a flatscreen TV will do it as well, but I can't be sure on that)