Thread: Grouping Issue - Am I going Mad?

Blog Entries

Default Grouping Issue - Am I going Mad?

All this fiddling and experimenting with grouping (and visiting extended edit mode which i hadn't really looked at until Grazie reminded me of that new feature) has befuddled me.

I am getting behaiviour (in VP12) which I'm sure I didn't used to, but it might just be Altzheimer's setting in.

New Project. 2 video clips X and Y, drop them onto the timeline.

If I click and drag on X video then X audio moves with it (as I would expect)
    Similarly if I click and drag on Y audio, then Y video moves with it.

If I click on X video and ctrl-click on Y video and drag either, then X and Y video and audio all move. So far, so good two video and two audio events selected.

Now, here's where I'm sure things have suddenly changed (I think)

If I now press "G" to group these events - ONLY the X and Y video events are grouped - ie the two audio events are no longer grouped to anything.

Similarly if start again and click on X video and Y audio then ony these two items are grouped - X audio and Y video are n longer grouped to anything.

Has it always been like this? I can't belive it because this has been fundamental to my editing since 2006!

I did wonder whether i'd maybe changed a preference somewhere whilst playing with extended edit, but I fired up VP11 and I'm seeing the same behaviour.
    Tim

Tim,
    I'm getting the same behaviour as you. Seems you have to change Auto Ripple to All Tracks, Markers, and Regions in VPro 12, so no group?
    Last edited by vkmast; 10-26-2012 at 11:25 AM.

Definitely alzheimer's.

If you create a new group, you break the old group of the audio/video pairing don't you ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Definitely alzheimer's.

If you create a new group, you break the old group of the audio/video pairing don't you ?
    Bizarre. I could swear that if you selected a group by clicking on one of it's members then the whole group was selected. This is what happens when you drag a member. So I have a group selecetd then I ctrl-click on another event then press G, I would expect the new event to be added to the group. not form a new group with just the item I'd clicked origibally clicked on on. As I say, that's the behaviour I'd expect, but that's not hat the manual describes - and indeed there wouldn't be a need for the Group | Select All function if that was the default.

I can only surmise that whilst I've understood this to be the behaviour, I must have always grouped in other ways (probably to be sure) - seven years of Vegas and I've never realised this! I'm positive, however, that I have been ungrouping events unnecessarily.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vkmast View Post
    Tim,
    I'm getting the same behaviour as you. Seems you have to change Auto Ripple to All Tracks, Markers, and Regions in VPro 12, so no group?
    I had Auto ripple disabled. I only switch it on when I know I need to use it. But te behvious is correct. i've just always expected different!
    Tim

Being semi serious for a moment. I actually can't remember what happened in the older versions, as I rarely grouped items with my work-flow. It would be interesting to find out what happens with older versions if somebody has one.

One of my senior moments happened too in my first tests. I went again through the TS workflow in VPros 10, 11 and 12 (latest builds) and now got the audio events ungrouped in all.