Thread: Help with basic formats of video

Default Help with basic formats of video

Where can I get info about the many types of formats used in video? I`m told that Mpeg2 is the way to go to make my work more workable in various bits of gear. It certainly is a nightmare trying to get to grips with things. I`ve started to produce AV shows and they run fine and I`m using Audacity for the sound and learning my way around but I still find the video file formats confusing.

2. Default

This is one of those extremely difficult topics, especially as new camera's come out and new formats and codecs are introduced.

Basically, what you need to know is there is a difference between the file name and it's codec. The codecs are what you actually need to worry about. You can read about that on the good old wiki: Video codec - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia From there, start googling best one's to use for your editing program. I know final cut works really well with prores. I'm not sure what premeire or vegas work best with.

Thanks for your prompt reply

It depends on the OS.

If on Mac OS, Premier works best with .mov
    If on Windows, Premier works best with .avi ( Yes that's right, .avi the same codec built for windows in 1992 )

Although most editors can import just about anything under the sun, It might not be the fastest format to edit in but most editors these days can take it in.