Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After grouping, spliting and deleting a piece is deleting all video events grouped

1. Default After grouping, spliting and deleting a piece is deleting all video events grouped

Hi,

I synced video and audio from different sources through plural eyes.
    After that, to improve the edition of three hours of video I thought on grouping all video and audio tracks.
    The problem is that splitting and deleting a piece is deleting all video events grouped. It is nonsense for me.
    I would appreciate any tip of how to handle it on Vegas.
    Here it is short video showing the problem.
    Group Problem - YouTube

Thanks in advance,
    Cadu

How is it nonsense?

If you group something together, Whatever you do to one piece affects the rest of the pieces, So why don't you ungroup them?

3. Default

If I load a video file (with audio attached, for instance from a camcorder) into Vegas, the video + audio are grouped and if a split and delete a piece, just such piece will be erased, and the rest of the event still there. I thought that by creating a group a could obtain similar behavior from Vegas.

Anyway, if I don't group the events, to delete a split piece, I need to select audio + video. To trimmer the boundaries, both video and audio need to be selected as well.

And what I am looking for is a manner in which if I drag and drop the video edge, the audio goes along with. If click on video to delete, the audio is deleted as well. But it seems Vegas isn't able to do it, am I right?

Thanks,
    Cadu

cadu,
    group the events, make a timeline selection (select loop region) of the area you want to operate on, ignore event grouping and select the video or audio you don't want and delete/cut.

Blog Entries

Hi cadu,

If you think of it like the following, then all makes sense.

Three pieces of video - A, B, C and a piece of audio undreneath all of these X

You group them together.

You split A into A1 and A2 and X into X1 and X2

What happens to the grouping of B and C? They have to remain grouped with something as you haven't ungrouped them. So, they will have to remain grouped with either A1 or A2. It turns out they remain grouped with the leftmost event - A1. Indeed your video (very helpful, by the way) shows this as after the split, you can see which sections are grouped (they have the blue border)

If you were to split towards the right hand end and remove the right hand section, it would behave as you are expecting.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vkmast View Post
    cadu,
    group the events, make a timeline selection (select loop region) of the area you want to operate on, ignore event grouping and select the video or audio you don't want and delete/cut.
    I thought you'd cracked it there vkmast, but it doesn't work! Irrespective of whether you switch on or off ignore event grouping, after the video is deleted and grouing switched on again the piece of video immediately to the right of the split and the piece of audio immediately tio the right of the split (ie all the remaining audio in cadu's example) are no longer part of the group. (VP12)
    Tim

Tim,
    you're right there of course. I checked only with dragging the following event (auto-ripple on). Need to group again?

8. Default

Thanks for answers!
    Actually, the behavior of the group is strange. I couldn't obtain a desirable behavior from Vegas (11).
    After I have deleted the split piece of the group (A1+X1) by ignoring event group, the X2 (audio) remains grouped just with A2, and B and C were ungrouped.
    So, it seems not to be a good idea to group some audio + video events in order to achieve a whole piece.
    I am thinking on:
    (a) not group and to have more work on selecting both to delete, trimmer etc.
    (b) render the videos + audio events in order to obtain a whole piece indeed and edit using it.
    What do you think?
    Thanks,
    Cadu

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cadu View Post
    After I have deleted the split piece of the group (A1+X1) by ignoring event group, the X2 (audio) remains grouped just with A2, and B and C were ungrouped.
    That's not what I'm seeing. After regrouping (ie deselecting the "ignore grouping" button, A2 & X2 remain ungrouped, but B & C are grouped when I try it.

Depending on what else you have going on, could Ripple Edit be a solution?
    Tim

10. Default

The grouped video (A, B, C, D) and audio (X) will be edited.
    What worked for me was split the audio event into same length of the video events and grouping each pair. I mean, A-X1, B-X2, C-X3, D-X4.
    The problem we discussed along this thread didn't appear and each grouped pair of the same length is behaving like a video+audio from a camcorder.
    Thanks,
    Cadu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast