Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Editing iPhone HD Video (MOV)

1. Unhappy Editing iPhone HD Video (MOV)

Hello,

I'm not sure if I am in the right place to ask this question but here goes.

I am trying to edit some video I took with my iPhone which is a MOV at 1080p.
    I am extrealy new to video editing so I have been looking for easy to use software.

I have Tried Magix VideoEdit and Corel VideoStudio Pro X5 but each time I import the files they play the audio but there is no video, just black...
    I have reinstalled QuickTIme but this has made no difference....

Have anyone see anything like this?

2. Default

Are you on a mac or a pc?

From the software you have tried I'm guessing you are on a PC. If you have the correct codec you can view the video, this is the simplicity. However, because Apple and Microsoft don't play nicely together this may be the issue you are having.

I do know that using Sony Vegas Studio and the latest version of Quicktime you will be able to edit your footage.

4. Default

Yes I am on a PC, and the Videos Play in VLC and MediaPlayer Classic and WMP.
    This is really annoying, is there nothing I can do to fix it?

Really want a simple Video Edit Program and from what I have seen Sony-Vegas looks very complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    From the software you have tried I'm guessing you are on a PC. If you have the correct codec you can view the video, this is the simplicity. However, because Apple and Microsoft don't play nicely together this may be the issue you are having.

I do know that using Sony Vegas Studio and the latest version of Quicktime you will be able to edit your footage.

5. Default

Install k-lite. It's a codec pack that should take care of your problem.

Does windows movie maker not edit .movs? Why not convert your footage using a free converter and then use windows movie maker?

6. Default

I have all the codecs I need and I don't want to install a codec pack that would potentially change and overwrite my already functioning codecs.
    Surely the only codec used to decode MOVs is Quicktime?

And I want to keep the footage as pure as possible, so I want to avoid transcoding it to another format.
    These programs should be able to edit the video, I just need to workout why It can't render the Video Stream...

I will see if there is a trial of SonyVegas and see if that can render it.

7. Default

Haha, I'm not sure why you come onto a forum and ask for help if you're not going to try any of the help suggested. The only reason it won't play your video in the editor is a lack of codecs. So, either you don't have the necessary codecs, as you think you do... Or your editors won't edit .movs.

8. Default

There is a difference between given help and Blasting a problem with fixes that "might" fix the problem.

If you came back with some helpful advice like "you need to register this specific file or codec" rather then "LETS INSTALL A BUCKET LOAD OF CODECs, and hopefully one will fix the problem, and lets hope that others don't cause more problems" it's rather like using a nuclear warhead to kill one person when a hand gun would have done.

So what Codec do I need to fix / Install?

9. Default

K-lite is a pack of codecs that covers nearly all the codecs. I have NEVER experienced any problems installing that. It has only ever helped me. I have faced the same problem you faced (not with an iphone, but with video not playing) and k-lite was suggested to me, I installed it, it worked.

I don't work on windows, so I don't know what codecs you need specifically, that is why I suggested a general "pack" such as k-lite as it will only update whatever codecs you have or install new ones if you don't have them all.

Transcoding video footage is a standard in video editing. So, to say i'm "blasting" you with fixes that "might" fix the problem is completely naive. Transcoding your footage into an editable file would not decrease your quality (if done right) and it will be a lot easier to edit. No one who professionally edits video edits it natively from the camera, it is too compressed and too hard to work with.

I'm sorry if I came across as "blasting you." However, I was offering you the best options you have, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tularis View Post
    Really want a simple Video Edit Program and from what I have seen Sony-Vegas looks very complicated.
    You may want to be more specific about how simple you want it to be. And, I suggest you have not looked very closely at Vegas.
    IMHO, the simplicy of an application includes whatever complexities are involved in getting it running, and getting ongoing support. I entirely agree that mindlessly installing codecs is silly. Not all codecs for a given format are the same. Cheap codecs may not transcribe as effectively or efficiencly as well written ones. Given the ease of downloading and installing a trial version of Vegas, it would be my first choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast