Thread: Real time for rendering a movie

1. Default Real time for rendering a movie

Hello, I have an Asus brand laptop with the following configuration:
    A6 quadcore AMD processor, ATI Radeon HD 7670M 1GB and 8GB of RAM.
    However I have difficulties in rendering movies in HD.
    For a film of 40 minutes, rendering takes over 3 hours.
    Is this normal?

What settings do you put in your final output?

It is a bit long -Based on the figures you give that's a Render-Factor ~4x

My own PC is dual-core and in Vegas Studio I'm getting Render Factors about 6x, but it does vary - slightly longer with fancy Transitions and I suspect the more tracks you use will increase the Factor.
    This factor is in making HD render (1920x1080). A further Renderng is needed often quite lengthy to create DVDs which as you will know is a different (lower) definition and this has to be processed.

Yr Post reads like you're an experienced Editor - what Factor did you get with the previous PC?....compare/contrast their Specs.

No expert in Laptops, but I've read something like this: - you need to set up the number of cores used for each Application. This is done to maximise the Battery-life. Might be worth checking those Performance details.

EDIT: 24Oct2012- .....Search for yr model and "setting up cores" - but I'm surprised it's not in the CD_ROM "Handbook" - the other way may be to look under Device Manager/Performance . . . I recall there is a "Power-Meter" facility that shows how the Resources are being used...this stays On-Screen so you can see when you should shut down other Apps. Maybe it will show "Cores" too . . . but I may be completely wrong.
    Oh, and check with the Supplier -
    Last edited by vidmanners; 10-24-2012 at 11:48 AM.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    It is a bit long -Based on the figures you give that's a Render-Factor ~4x

My own PC is dual-core and in Vegas Studio I'm getting Render Factors about 6x, but it does vary - slightly longer with fancy Transitions and I suspect the more tracks you use will increase the Factor.
    This factor is in making HD render (1920x1080). A further Renderng is needed often quite lengthy to create DVDs which as you will know is a different (lower) definition and this has to be processed.

Yr Post reads like you're an experienced Editor - what Factor did you get with the previous PC?....compare/contrast their Specs.

No expert in Laptops, but I've read something like this: - you need to set up the number of cores used for each Application. This is done to maximise the Battery-life. Might be worth checking those Performance details.
    Thanks for your answer.
    Now, how can I set up those cores?