Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best video editing software?

1. Default Best video editing software?

Just like the title says. Anyone have any suggestions on what is the best?
    Or what you would consider the most effective in terms of cost?

Pros and cons?
    Best price?

I've been looking at Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro, and Cyberlink's Power Director.

Thanks for any help!

I would add Sony Vegas to that list pound for pound it's very powerful and easy to use. You can also get lots of help with it on here. Final Cut Pro is for Mac only. Adobe is good. I've never used Power director but it's not often asked about on this forum which could mean no body ever has a problem with it OR it's not very popular.

The list should be Vegas, Premiere or Edius. I don't think anything else isn't worth considering unless you can afford Pro versions of Avid. If you have a Mac use Final Cut.

Try each of these before you buy it to see which one suites you best.

Agree with that MB.

Sony Vegas Studio Production v11 Suite is under 40 Amazon, and comes with a tutorial DVD for use after you have used it a few weeks. (IMHO). The Suite also includes DVD Architect (for creating DVD/BlueRay discs with Menus). It also includes Sound Forge that allows adjustment of the audio-tracks..... a good addition IMHO to the Editor features.
    Current version is 12, but v11 is good enough for 1080i AND 1080p footage....as well as 3D . . . .

The basic program is cheaper, but the price difference is somewhat minor.
    You do need a good PC for ALL video-editing . . . . I suggest Quad-core as a minimum.

DYOR.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I would add Sony Vegas to that list pound for pound it's very powerful and easy to use. You can also get lots of help with it on here. Final Cut Pro is for Mac only. Adobe is good. I've never used Power director but it's not often asked about on this forum which could mean no body ever has a problem with it OR it's not very popular.

The list should be Vegas, Premiere or Edius. I don't think anything else isn't worth considering unless you can afford Pro versions of Avid. If you have a Mac use Final Cut.

Try each of these before you buy it to see which one suites you best.

Thank you very much for the info! I will definitely look into Sony Vegas.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    As the years go by, it really does seem that the choices have settled down so that if you buy Vegas, Premiere and FCP you won't find any problems. For many of us, we keep updating the one we selected years ago, because we're comfy with it. It doesn't mean that me, as a Premiere user would get better results (or worse ones) with the other two - in fact, once we'd wasted months getting used to it, I doubt we'd see much real difference in what we could do - just do it differently. Looking at the Cyberlink product, it's not really aimed at the same market - and seems to be for the hobbyist - in the same way Serif's video editor is. Macs and PCs have a free editor built in and they can cut a few clips together fine. The cut-down versions of the main products are excellent value. I only use a few of the features that are only in the full versions regularly, so the cheap ones are excellent ways to get into editing, and there is a proper upgrade path. If you download the trials, don't try to swap between them because it will confuse you. Spend say, 20 hours working on a project on one, then remove it and install the next. Temptation to try the same thing on two at the same time will be too much. Doing this will focus you too much on a single feature, and may compromise your decision. Choose after doing a small project on both, but one at a time. Whatever you do - do NOT put it on anything less than a swish computer.
    This is great information. Thanks so much for your help! I appreciate it.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    Agree with that MB.

Sony Vegas Studio Production v11 Suite is under 40 Amazon, and comes with a tutorial DVD for use after you have used it a few weeks. (IMHO). The Suite also includes DVD Architect (for creating DVD/BlueRay discs with Menus). It also includes Sound Forge that allows adjustment of the audio-tracks..... a good addition IMHO to the Editor features.
    Current version is 12, but v11 is good enough for 1080i AND 1080p footage....as well as 3D . . . .

The basic program is cheaper, but the price difference is somewhat minor.
    You do need a good PC for ALL video-editing . . . . I suggest Quad-core as a minimum.

DYOR.
    Thanks so much for the info. I'm definitely making sure I will have a good PC for editing.

Blog Entries

If you nailed down all of the basics in Sony Vegas, I really suggest you take a look at Adobe Premiere. I first got a pirated version of CS6, and already noticed the much more fluidness whilst replaying your clips/sequences, although it genereates media cache files in order to do that. After just a few days, I bought the programm and ever since never looked back again.

8. Default

Hi, I would suggest CyberLink PowerDirector but wont do hard sell here. If you have questions about it, please feel free to ask us here on forum.

9. Default

Thanks for this paulears. For general questions on cyberlink products, please raise them up here or like us on facebook.com.cyberlink

Cyberlink, please keep your posts relevant to the subject and not just promoting your product. I spend enough time dealing with spam bots as it is, I'd rather not have to deal with this sort of thing as well.

Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast