Thread: Inefficient Project Design or something else?

Default Inefficient Project Design or something else?

Sony Vegas Pro 9

AMD Phenom 9950 Quad-Core
    2.6GHz
    3.25 GB RAM
    NVidia GeForce 8200

(Is that all the info you need?)

Hey everyone. I came to Sony Vegas with no experience in this field whatsoever, and over the last few months have taught myself, but right now I figure there must be something that I'm missing. Rendering a 6 minute long .mp4 can take over 4 hours. However, this could simply be that my PC is not up to scratch (please suggest what to add/increase), my Project is inefficient, or I'm just missing something (or, alternatively, this could just be normal).

Here is an example of the type of video I make:
    Lollipop Chainsaw - Watch Out For The Balls Achievement/Trophy - YouTube

Now, as you can see, there is a lot going on, from the multiple video files, to the additional images, to Track Motion, and a couple of Track FX (Sharpness).
    I understand that with so much going on, the rendering process is going to be slower, but are there any improvements that can be made (bear in mind I'm self-taught and may just be missing something simple)?

I have found that removing the Track FX does provide a small boost to rendering speed, but I also feel the video suffers, and would prefer to keep it.
    I imagine that removing some of the images would be significant, but they are an integral part to my videos.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrrk View Post
    Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
    I think you're beyond help . . . . OK, 4 hours full render to do 6minutes of all that stuff? Not so bad.

OK, you've found that taking track FX off is good - yes it will be. The next thing is to do a full audit of ALL your Media to see if you really need resolutions larger than is needed. "Needed", meaning here, is what you will have to judge, but make sure that your Project settings match your majority of media AND any wickedly humongous-sized stills are brought down a peg or 5 !

Nice work. And yes it would be nicer if you could find rendering do a tad. But there again, if your FXs aren't optimised to make use of GPU then you're kinda dead in the water.

. . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    I think you're beyond help . . . .
    I can't tell if that's an insult or a compliment... Haha

The next thing is to do a full audit of ALL your Media to see if you really need resolutions larger than is needed
    I Have the overall resolution set to 720p as I felt 1080P didn't add much. Are you saying that I can adjust the resolution of individual files? If so, how do I do that?

AND any wickedly humongous-sized stills are brought down a peg or 5
    The still images have small file sizes and are saved as PNGs (would another type be better?), however, I find it hard to judge how big to make an image as even a 1x1 pixel image is stretched to fill the preview screen.

Nice work.
    Thanks! Can't hear that enough. Not bad for a newb eh?

If your FXs aren't optimised to make use of GPU then you're kinda dead in the water.
    Dumb question incoming: Uh, is that something I have to enable, or is it done automatically?

Thanks for the help so far though, at least I know I haven't deviated too far from the right path.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrrk View Post
    . . . at least I know I haven't deviated too far from the right path.
    There you go again, trying to be all righteous and well meaning . . . you're a lost cause - accept it.

OK, check and audit and bring here of ALL your media: MBs<>Pixies or Inches or Feet or miles - I don't care how you list 'em. TFFs PNGS JPGs . . whatever . . .

Make sure your Project is set to the majority of your Media. This is the one biggie people forget - me too.

On the point about rendering and auto I have a CUDA capable GPU. It shows up in the AVC - MC and SONY MP4 rendering rtemplates. You could check this out for your self in the System Tab of those templates.

As to efficient OFX FXs, not all ARE OFX. Sony has a few, I can see them listed in amongst my other FXs.

The other thing, before I forget, render out any non-essential FX media and import them back ao that they match your project.

I've probaly forgotten some other stuff.

But, "deviated"? You deviate-away dear boy . . It's about time we had a few more deviants as we approach Halloween!! Muaahhahahaha . . ..

Oh wow, so many technical terms that I don't understand... This is gonna suck to explain, and suck even more for you to read. I'm like a monkey reciting Shakespeare to you while you try to decipher the intricacies of the political power struggles within Macbeth.

Ahem, anyway, here is an image of the template I use for my Projects. I simply copy and paste the attributes of the place-holders and replace with my final files:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...last/Vegas.jpg

Here are my tracks (I hope this is what you wanted):
    1. Still image using track motion to approach from off screen on right. | 170kb-190kb | 868x486 pixels |.PNG
    2. As above
    3. As above
    4. As above
    5. Square which glows and changes size over a period of 2 seconds | 4kb | 200x196 pixels |.PNG
    6. Rectangular image | 9kb | 200x995 pixels |.PNG
    7. Small Border | 4kb | 800x200 pixels |.PNG
    8. Multiple instances of Track 11, split into 2 second clips. Track motion to rise from below. | 60kb-360kb | 1174x201 pixels |.PNG
    9. Text box. Multiple instances of 10 seconds. Track motion to rise from below.
    10. Only appears when Track 9 is in use. Track motion to rise from below. | 38kb | 1174x201 pixels |.PNG
    11. Only Appears when Track 9 and 10 are not in use. | 60kb-360kb | 1174x201 pixels |.PNG
    12. Footage from Camera. Varying size and length. | .mp4 | Full HD (Not sure how to record at 720p - will look into)
    13. Footage from Hauppauge. Varying size and length. | .m2ts | 720p
    14. Audio from Hauppauge. Varying size and length.
    15. Intro Footage from Hauppauge. Varying size and length. | .m2ts | 720p
    16. Small image. | 3kb | 64x64 | .jpg
    17. Intro. | 166mb | 640x360 | .AVI
    18 Audio for Track 17 | 768kb | 1411kbps | .wav

Make sure your Project is set to the majority of your Media. This is the one biggie people forget - me too.
    Being a dolt, I'm not entirely sure which values I should be toying around with. My current project settings look like this:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t/settings.jpg

On the point about rendering and auto I have a CUDA capable GPU. It shows up in the AVC - MC and SONY MP4 rendering rtemplates. You could check this out for your self in the System Tab of those templates.
    I don't seem to have a System tab for those. I only have Audio, Video Project. (Am I looking in the wrong place?)

As to efficient OFX FXs, not all ARE OFX. Sony has a few, I can see them listed in amongst my other FXs.
    I can feel my brain turning to mush. Literally no clue as to what you're saying.

The other thing, before I forget, render out any non-essential FX media and import them back ao that they match your project.
    Could you elaborate please? Remember, I'm self taught, and I'm beginning to see I'm not that much of a teacher...

WOW - and WOW again, that's a lot of processing.

Maybe just to satisfy that the Software+Hardware is OK do a simple Edit with several HD vids each 1min long with a Start title and one at the end.

Only if that doesn't "fly" when rendered, then start digging deeper. I think that you just have to be grateful the Software is stable enough to keep on going right through to the conclusion.

Well done! Great to see a comprehensive audit for a change.

OK, why are you using 32 bit floating point? If you aren't going to get banding artefacts in a "game" then just try going down to 8-bit and be done. 32bit floats are notoriously major consumers of Time and CPU grunt. Try a small section WITHOUT the 32bit Float. See the difference and you decide.

I can't see an issue elsewhere, 'cept your mix of video: MP4+AVI+m2ts . That COULD bollax rendering enough to bring Vegas to its knees and crawl. It all depends on how much and how often. That, and the need for Vegas to do the full schemer with 32Float.

I don't know anybody who uses 32bit float projects. I've used it maybe thrice on dodgy dissolves and Particles in Particle Illusion.

Do try the the tests.

. . . . . . . . . . .
    Last edited by Grazie; 10-23-2012 at 06:06 AM.