Thread: Shoot a movie and play it in three monitor? Best setup!?

Default Shoot a movie and play it in three monitor? Best setup!?

Hi everyone!
    I'm new in the forum and I'm writing here 'cause now I'm facing with a new challenge. I need to shoot a video and play it in three monitor (1024x768 px each 3072x768 total) (so the video has to be split in three parts).
    I don't have any problem concerning the hardware and software (Im already able to split the signal into 3 monitor).
    I have the problem at the beginning instead: which kind of record setup (in the camera) is the right one to have the best result? Which kind of aspect ratio I need to use? (1920x1080, 1080x720 etc etc)

Any help is appreciated!!
    Thank you!!

Do you mean you will be showing 1/3 of the video in each of the monitors ? If so choose the highest resolution you can. ie 1920 x 1080. This is 16:9 aspect ratio which won't be right for you because you will be zooming in to a third of the video which will chop off some of the top or bottom. Is this what you mean ?

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Do you mean you will be showing 1/3 of the video in each of the monitors ? If so choose the highest resolution you can. ie 1920 x 1080. This is 16:9 aspect ratio which won't be right for you because you will be zooming in to a third of the video which will chop off some of the top or bottom. Is this what you mean ?
    Thank you for your answer!
    Exactly: 1/3 in each monitor. Here's some test that I did editing in Premiere. The source is 1920x1080 and the preview (the black box with the video in it) is 3072x768.
    The first image is just zoomed, with the original aspect ratio and the two part of the video lost.
    The second is with the original aspect ratio too but with two black areas.
    The last one is a stretched image, with modified aspect ratio...
    I think I will stretch a little bit and leave some black areas on the left and the right of the video.
    But there is a solution to have better result?! I have the doubt that 1920x1080 is not the right recording setup.. but until now I didn't find anything better..

Enlarged.JPGNorm Asp ratio.JPGStreched.JPG

Unless you have a camera that can shoot 4k resolution there isn't a better resolution than shooting 1920 x 1080.

The solution is quite simple, I would recommend keeping the correct aspect ratio. What you need to do during filming is visualise loosing the top and bottom of your image by about a third in total hight. You could put some masking tape at the top and bottom of the view screen during filming to help. Then frame your shots accordingly so you don't cut off peoples heads.

I don't know the actual maths but over three screens you will have something like a 16:3 aspect ratio instead of the usual 16:9. You should then crop the video top and bottom to give you the right resolution to fill the screens top to bottom, then when you split it into three screens it will look like one big wide screen with the correct aspect ratio. I think the resolution that you should render it out to should be 5760 x 1080, if Premiere will allow you to do that. OR just render it as wide as you can keeping the aspect ratio and hopefully the software you are using to split the image across three screens will scale it correctly for you.

I don't use Premiere so I can't tell you all the editing steps you need to take.

Thank you again Midnight Blue you're helping me a lot. I will follow your advise regarding the shooting.
    But at the end I think I didn't understand something: why should I export using 5760 x 1080 if I'm going to play the video in three monitor with 1024x768 each and totally 3072x768?
    Or do you think that is better to set each monitor at 1920x1080?

I said I was rubbish at maths. My thinking was 1920 x 3 = 5760 but I don't know if that will work best. It all depends on whether Premiere can up-scale the image better than the monitors can. You will have to test it. You are shooting at 1920 x 1080, so you might be better keeping the width at 1920 and bring the hight down to 360 which is a third of 1080. I think that should give you the best image quality to start with. You should also try other 16:9 aspect ratio resolutions.

This is all just educated guess work on my part as I've never done anything like this before and I have no idea what playback equipment you are using but I know the image will look better keeping the 16:9 aspect ratio that you originally shot it in.

Hope that helps.

Yes it helps
    Before the day after tomorrow I will test the two options and I'll let you know!