Thread: Help with imporving PC performance (Esp Render Times)?

Default Help with imporving PC performance (Esp Render Times)?

Hi All,

I have just upgraded most of my computer. After reinstalling the Creative Suite 5.5, i have noticed that it does not appear to be running any quicker than my old computer, and the rendering times are exactly the same (I am also running Red Giant MB Suite within Premiere/After Effects).

PC wise, this is my old set up :-

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Processor
    Asus P5Q PRO P45 Motherboard
    2 x Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz Memory
    ASUS GeForce GTX 550 Ti DirectCU - 1 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
    2 x Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB Hard Drive SATAII Hard Drives
    MOTU 8in8out 828mk2 Firewire Audio Unit
    Corsair CMPSU-850AXUK 850W Power Supply
    Pioneer BDR-205 / 12x Internal SATA Blu-Ray BD-RE Drive

This is my new set up: -

Intel Core i7 3930K 3.20GHz Socket 2011 12M Processor
    Asus SABERTOOTH X79 Socket 2011 Motherboard
    Corsair 32GB DDR3 1600MHz Dominator Memory
    ASUS GeForce GTX 550 Ti DirectCU - 1 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
    2 x OCZ 512GB Agility 4 Solid State Drives
    2 x Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB Hard Drive SATAII Hard Drives (Raid Mirror Backup)
    MOTU 8in8out 828mk2 Firewire Audio Unit
    Corsair CMPSU-850AXUK 850W Power Supply
    Pioneer BDR-205 / 12x Internal SATA Blu-Ray BD-RE Drive

I am soon going to buy a Quadro 4000 (If avalable for a PC) but i have to wait for this as it means also replacing my monitors as they are VGA (with one connected via the digital port).

Is there any reason why it is not working any faster, and are there any tweaks you can recommend for me to do, especially for the render times?

Thanks in Advance

TCT.

Magic bullet software will always be slow! It's a third party application added onto premier pro therefore much slower than premiers native fx - what FX do you really need from the suite that premier is not providing?

You have 4 drives, how are they setup? I noticed you have a raid mirror backup, what is that for?

Is your sequence correct for the media you are importing? Try importing media into the bin them right click, create sequence from clip, see if that works.

In premier pro settings, check the memory tab then make sure it's set to performance!

Who installed the window OS? Is it clean?

Hi Bpotter908,

Thanks for the reply.

What i first noticed is that when i reloaded a project, the indexing and conforming was still as slow as it was before.

My hard drives, i have the two solid states set up as thus: -

The first is partitioned in two, with one partition at 200 GB set for Windows 7 Ultimate, the the other partition has all of my production software (Adobe Creative Suite, MB Suite, Nuendo 5.5, Reason 6.5, Soundforge 10, Waves Native Power Pack 9 and other plug ins).

The Second drive is my current projects drive.

The two raptors that are mirrored and used for backing up projects, file storage (samples, software installers etc.)

The OS was installed clean by myself, and i admit i had a few problems installing it (i had to install it from a USB as there were drivers missing and SP1 wouldn't install and i had to use command prompt to fix it) but i got there in the end.

The MB suite is mainly for Looks, but i use Colorista and Misfire on my latest project.

As for the media, i have loaded up a project from my old computer and Premiere had indexed/conformed all of the files. Would it be quicker if a restarted the project afresh? (I would lose 3 days though)