Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Robin

Red face A Robin

This is a short test to see if I could use all my cameras to do one shoot. It's just a simple shot of a robin on a bird feeder.

2. Default

I think it's a great video. Congratulations

Last edited by christinachristina00; 10-18-2012 at 02:53 AM.

Blog Entries

How did you get sign off from the boss for all that gear?! I'm still surprised you went down the DSLR route, and I think I missed your purchase of the go pro. What do you plan to use that for? Apart from the obvious practical benefits, I'm normally disappointed with results, particularly if lighting conditions aren't perfect.

@ Christina. Thank you, I'm glad you like it.

@ Marc. Because I already have a nice camcorder the next obvious purchase had to be a DSLR as I can't afford the next step up on the camcorder ladder. I think it adds another string to my bow etc. I managed to snick the GoPro in when I got the D800, when you pay so much for one camera then the GoPro (which was on offer) seemed like loose change, comparatively speaking.

I got it mostly for vehicle shots but I also have a friend who does scuba diving so I may end up doing an underwater shoot some time.

I've just read back what I've written and I think it sounds a bit brash, as though I've got all the money in the world to through at my "hobby". It wasn't intended like that. I do try and make money from making videos, it is a business for me, so it's like an investment in the company.

video was great

robins in the UK look very different than robins in Canada

robins also make nice sounds that can be captured with a little something we Canadians like to call a "microphone" - just sayin

Didn't you hear to the first 10 seconds.

Very interesting. Please; what was your reasoning when choosing which camera to use for each location? I am not saying anything is 'wrong', but am curious what influenced your choice.

The GoPro had to be the camera attached to the feeder obviously. I know the D800 would give a nice sharp image that's why I used it as the main front camera. I put the HVX at the other side because of the position of the sun and that it had a better sun shield than the Nikon. It was zoomed in a bit more than the D800 as I was hoping for a lucky shot but the robin didn't hit it's mark (children and animals etc.) so I didn't get any footage from that camera of the bird. I was going to leave it at that but then remembered I had the TZ18 so I just did some wide shots from where I was sitting.

To be honest, I was disappointed with the footage I got, usually the feeder is very busy with blue tits, sparrows, etc. and in the hour that I had, there was only the one robin who was brave enough to come to the feeder with the cameras around it. That's why the video only has one bird in. I am hoping to repeat the experiment later in the year. I have learnt that I need to hide the cameras have a spare battery for the GoPro and have more patience.

My GoPro has a flashing red light on the front and birds are less afraid of it if I turn the light off (in the settings).

Zam

Blog Entries

Fun to show the setup at the end. I thought the images worked perfectly well together - did you have to do much in the way of colour correction?
    Slapped wrist for the clipping piano audio, though.
    Tim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast