Thread: Correlation between Video File Format and Render Lag / Audio Choppiness?

Default Correlation between Video File Format and Render Lag / Audio Choppiness?

Hi, so I'm relatively new at Sony Vegas (that is to say, I've only done small projects overlayed with some interesting transition and an audio file or two playing over it) and recently I've decided to become more serious, with an emphasis on the quality of the video. My laptop is quite suitable for media purposes; the only problem I could see for it to not deliver is when uploading the quality that requires a 3.0 GHz or something similar processor speed. I've also done a number of research on the topic prior to asking, so I would appreciate if people can hear me out first without jumping to hardware issues.

So anyway, I've recently tested an HD upload, and I rendered it in an uncompressed AVI video file format, of substantial quality. Thing is, the video and audio becomes low and choppy, despite no indication in the original footage (recorded through Fraps) and in the Sony Vegas preview box. I've re-rendered it several times under lower settings, gave up and went straight to a WMV file instead, uncompressed. Here's what I'm wondering; did the change in a Video File Format really matter? I plan to upload all my works onto Youtube, and the only video players I have installed on my laptop is Windows media player and VLC. I've heard that AVI files generally bring the best in quality, but I'm slightly dismayed I cannot use it to great effect (the choppiness persists after each render). Is there anyway to fix this, or should I just stick with WMV in the meantime, until I can upgrade my equipment?

Any feedback is appreciated.

It is true an uncompressed .avi file can bring you the best quality BUT I wouldn't even try editing an uncompressed .avi file on my PC, which is quite good, I definitely wouldn't attempt to do it on a laptop, not even a good one.

There are other formats such as mpeg2 (HD), AVCHD, etc. that should give you good enough quality for your needs. There are things you can do in Vegas to help with a smoother playback such as lowering the preview quality, lowering the pixel bit rate in the project properties even making proxy files might work for you. For your needs I'd just use a different format and make life easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    It is true an uncompressed .avi file can bring you the best quality BUT I wouldn't even try editing an uncompressed .avi file on my PC, which is quite good, I definitely wouldn't attempt to do it on a laptop, not even a good one.

There are other formats such as mpeg2 (HD), AVCHD, etc. that should give you good enough quality for your needs. There are things you can do in Vegas to help with a smoother playback such as lowering the preview quality, lowering the pixel bit rate in the project properties even making proxy files might work for you. For your needs I'd just use a different format and make life easier.
    Okay, thanks, though it seems like my Sony Vegas Movie Studio does not have either codecs for rendering.

Again, quite new at this, where would I be able to purchase / download these codecs?
    Last edited by LuridArt; 10-18-2012 at 12:51 AM.