Thread: dirty yoyo vid

Default dirty yoyo vid

I to can play with my focus ring now ! I know it's been over done tho

Well the title is accurate. It is a dirty video.

I do, surprisingly, like the mood and modern urban feel you have got but would have preferred more shots with things in focus. Something similar looking to the stills you posted the other day.

I can see your creative juices are really flowing.

thank you. To be honest, I try not to be a hater but I can't help but hate on those clips with excessive and useless game with the focus ring "just because you can" kind of attitude. my experience told me that if I hate on something, I should try it out for a while. So I wanted to go "all out", giving into the focus ring abuse temptation, the dark side of the force if you will :p

it's cheap and easy and to some extent, it kinda works.
    I've tried more "precise" focusing stuff in the previous vid (which I did not post here for various reasons) and it has, unsurprisingly, proven fairly difficult. But I take it that it's going to get easier with time.

What I originally wanted to do with this video was two things

it was shot in my hometown train station, it has that kind of "abandoned" feel to it, in the way that the floor, walls and features seem to never have been updated since the early 90s, it's not clean looking, and it feels like this place alone just stalled in time.
    about the player, he has that weirdly flowing style that I wanted to translate as well, he kind of just keeps stacking elements almost unnecessarily which gives it this kind of "heavy" flow.

I wanted to try that rule that says "shoot 1 hour for 1 minute of film", so I ended up with a good amount of footage, which was very fun to work with. my 135mm didn't turn out as good as the 50 and the 28 so I decided to leave its footage out (I should get a couple of better ones in the mail this week, this one was a cheapo that I picked at a local store).

So I kinda knew where I wanted to go, but I had very little clue on how to get there due to the new equipment and new way of filming from the camcorder to the DSLR, I'll probably take the next couple of months to figure out how to put both my mind and my equipment back on sync.

I very much like the DSLR way so far, it's much more work but much better results, hopefully I'll find a way to have the camcorder, the gopro and two DSLRs working together on screen (my friend who usually holds the cam, but not on this vid, actually, is getting a D800 next month and he already has a good set of lenses), and if everything goes right, we'll be ready to go by next spring to try and shoot something more like a real short film.

Blog Entries

To be honest, unlike many of your other vids, this one didn''t appeal to me. I found the music very annoying and distracting, which didn't help, and rather than flowing from one to another, the clips seemed edited together in a way that seemd deliberately ... erm if it was music I'd call it "dissonant" without any resolution. Of course this might just be the effect the out of focus shots and teh music has on me rather than the editing.

I have little doubt that there is an audience this look/feel will appeal to though.

Quote Originally Posted by hadoq View Post
    my experience told me that if I hate on something, I should try it out for a while. So I wanted to go "all out", giving into the focus ring abuse temptation, the dark side of the force if you will :p
    I like that attitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by hadoq View Post
    if everything goes right, we'll be ready to go by next spring to try and shoot something more like a real short film.
    "Adventures in Yoyoland"? I look forward to it
    Tim

the album where the music comes from is actually excellent, and so is the short video introduction that was published before release

here it is, I DID NOT FILM THE FOLLOWING VIDEO (for those reading in diagonal)

I think the whole thing is amazingly beautiful, so is the album.
    the song I used for that vid actually tends to grow into people, most hate it at first, then it catches, but the complete version is about twice as long and there's more to it, the ending is beautiful too.

I don't feel like I'm yet able to really do exactly what I want with the DSLR for now, and it's much harder to get experience under my belt when I film solo as it's much harder to operate by myself and be the subject at the same time. My goal is not to make yoyo videos, but I find yoyo videos to be a good way to experiment because you have a subject that is always interesting and always graphical, so you can make it interact with the composition in a great number of ways. Yoyoing shows more than what it is (or it is more than what it shows, either way).

Ultimately, in maybe 10 to 15 years of time, I'll be doing a full feature film, until then, it's basically a grind, artistically and technically, also get to meet the right people who will help me get there. I hope in 2013 I'll be doing my first real short film. I'm not quite there yet, but since I swapped for the DSLR, I feel that I finally have all the tools I wanted, now I only lack the technique, experience but those come with time and work.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I do, surprisingly, like the mood and modern urban feel you have got but would have preferred more shots with things in focus. Something similar looking to the stills you posted the other day.
    wot he said.

How much of the look and feel was the lens, and how much was done In post? Might have to check out your lens thread again...

I have to admit that 50 1.4 lens is very inspiring, most of the footage was filmed either with that 50mm with a skylight filter (I actually forgot to remove and didn't realize before it was too late) either with the takumar 28mm f3.5

I'll go back to focus soon enough, but that one was fun to film and edit. The whole "new gear" and new lenses enthusiast will pass and I'll finally go back to actually do something with my vids and use those as what they are: tools