Thread: How can I make this better?

Default How can I make this better?

Project was to take a quote (we were given a choice of 5...) and make it into a lyric video using After Effects. This is the very first time I have ever touched AE so sorry if it's not perfect, but what can I do to make it better or more creative? I'm proud of it honestly, but would like it to be even more awesome haha.

I am going to change the audio and have a girl say the quote, but I don't know how else to make it better.

Here is the video and below that is the old version you can view out of interest.

UPDATE:
    you can see the old and the new ones next to one another here: Quote (Updated) vs. Quote Video by VJ Austin | YouTube Doubler | Mashup Helper
    Last edited by lotreaglesfan; 10-14-2012 at 11:29 PM.

The rain could have been a bit more of a subtle start, It seemed to spring into existence.

Apart from that, It does what it needs to just fine for my book.

I think you have do a good job with what you have made BUT is it following the brief? You said you had to made a "lyric video", doesn't that mean you need to have words/text in it ?

Perhaps the graphic of the boy who appears around 0:10 is of a lower res than the other graphics, so it looks blurry and indistinct. Around 0:19 is a thin misty layer covering the climber. I know he is in the clouds, but the very faint covering reduces the quality of the image of the mountaineer; so I would be inclined to leave it out.

Perhaps add more flowers so the ascent is more impressive, and make the bumblebee fly behind a few for depth. Agree with making the rain more subtle, and Tim's comments. Tracking in slowly towards the mountaineer on the summit at the end would be an emotive touch.

I know you said you're fresh to AE (I'm just about to try get my feet wet in it myself), but what animations like these really benefit from, in my opinion, is the use of gaussian blurs to replicate depth of field and focus-pulling. So that's something worth looking into.

Also, you're kinda cutting the impact the quote and the piece has by cutting from the music so suddenly. There's an epic uplifting note just about to arrive, my soul can sense it! Maybe have a longer dissolve - or don't be afraid to have a few extra black frames at the end to let that music really do it's job.

Very competent graphics and whilst it's not a Genre I'm studied in, I think the rain-falling doesn't quite help the upward pan (if that's what's happening), It looked as though the mountain-top just appeared, so some "hidden-views" on the way up might help and then zoom-into the last shots.

If the words are well-known poetry (for example), then there may be some need for this to be more-obvious, for example by showing the "printed copy" on-screen. So-called Credit-Roll should do this.

Was there any Foley? That might help with the transition from the bee (surely not a Bumble), maybe with some "fake" wind as the mountain aproaches....

all IMHO . . . I couldn't achieve half what you've done - is this really a 1st-effort?

@ Bpotter908 yeah.... I tried to fix that but was having problems getting it to start sooner and more slowly. I was watching different Youtube videos as I went along trying to put it all together.

@ MidnightBlue well the assignment we were given was to make a lyric video (like music videos do) with those words in it. I wanted to make mine different and do something more advanced so that's why I used her voice instead of lyrics and used pictures. I had the teacher's approval to do this....

@ Bouken Boy The music was the beginning of a song by the piano guys. right when the song cuts out is where the actual song by them begins... that was the intro to their real song. I wish it could have been a longer song to use but that was the best one that fitted.

@TimAndrews yeah the picture of the boy was a jpg image that I found on Google Search, downloaded, redrew in Illustrator and then exported/re-imported into After Effects. All of the graphics actually except for the flower were that same way. The boy was just sooooo massive of an image due to the 3d plane which is why he was out of focus. I tried to make him clearer though so that was kind of my fault.

@ vidmanners Yeah, the mountain just appeared haha.... I couldn't get it to fit in the rest of the footage without giving away story and since this is the first time i have worked in after effects it was the best I could do. Good idea about the printed version and I would have included it at the end if I had more time with the song. Define foley? sorry haha. and yes, this was a first time effort. I drew a storyboard and that really helped me out

SORRY FOR THE DELAYED RESPONSE!!! I completely forgot about this post haha.... and here is the finished video. Let me know what you think??? I got a 100% on it

<strong><u>

Blog Entries

It seems the original is no longer available, but I didn't really see any of the "faults" mentioned in the other posts in the final version 9except the differing qualities of the graphics.
    A very nice job worthy of a good mark.
    100% though? That means nothing could be improved. That would mean you've peaked and might as well never make anything else!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    It seems the original is no longer available, but I didn't really see any of the "faults" mentioned in the other posts in the final version 9except the differing qualities of the graphics.
    A very nice job worthy of a good mark.
    100% though? That means nothing could be improved. That would mean you've peaked and might as well never make anything else!
    it's completely true about the 100% and I know what you mean by that. It's actually the first and only time he has ever given me a 100% on a video haha. Usually I just receive an A or B because that is how he grades.

Hi
    Well done, only thing I would suggest for next video is the sound quality. There was a bit of hiss and a touch of distortion probably due to the microphone peaking. You may of course be limited to the hardware you have access to but I would say that was one of the few things that would give any one a clue that it was not a professional creation.
    Next time round look at getting hold of a good condensor mic, or a pop shield (required with condensor mic anyway) and possibly running the audio through some simple sound software with compression and/or gate effect on it.

Other than that for a first time (or even 2nd or 3rd) good job.

Dave