Thread: Is this a good start off setup? (DSLR for Video)

Default Is this a good start off setup? (DSLR for Video)

Hey. I'm buying a setup to start filming music video's/aftermovies etc (Festivals/Nightclubs ideally)

Could anyone tell me if this would be okay for me please? I'd appreciate any replies, thanks

Canon EOS 550d, body only:
    Canon EOS 550D Rebel T2i DSLR Digital Camera Body Available for Sale

50mm 1.8 lens:
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II Lens for Canon DSLR for Sale

Shoulder rig:
    DSLR Rig Shoulder Mount Support Stand Stabiliser for DV Camera Sony Canon Nikon | eBay

16GB mem card:
    SanDisk Extreme HD Video SDHC 16GB 45MB/s--DigitalRev

I think you're going to need more than one lens. What about a 70-200 zoom. Primes will give you a nice image but zooms are very usful for video.

I've never come across that rig before but it doesn't look that brilliant. I know rigs can be expensive but I'm not sure going so cheap will be a good idea, it's up to you. I can't say which one to go for as I'm still in the middle of doing the research into these things and it looks very much like you get what you pay for with these things. So if that's all you can afford then that will have to do.

3. Default

I would buy a better lens and get rid of the shoulder mount. I say that for 2 reasons. 1. A lens with IS is a must if you won't be using a tripod (walking around or moving at all). 2. A better lens gives you more flexibility. A 550D is a crop sensor and so paired with a 50mm, you're going to struggle to do music videos and videography as you'll find you have to stand way back to get everything in the frame.

From your kit, it looks like you're on a tight budget. If your budget can stretch to a 17-40 f4 L lens, I reckon that'll be a better starting lens. Or the 24-105 f4 IS L lens. That is quite expensive though. If you can't afford either of those. Look into the Sigma 17-70 2.8 OS lens. Great lens, has image stabilization, has a good zoom ability and if you need it in low light, you can use 2.8 @ 17mm.

Hi, if you're going to shoot in night clubs, I definitely recommend primes over zooms, mostly because they'll be faster for much less money. Primes will also stimulate your creativity because, especially in a nightclub, you're going to have to stick with the same focal length for some time.

Personally, I went the "budget" route here, using old SLR lenses, you can get great and fast primes for only a fraction of what modern lenses cost, and the end result seems to be just as good, if not better for the price (if you have like 500 euros to spend in lenses, you can either get one very good modern prime or at least 3 or 4 reputed old primes that you KNOW (because there is enough info online, footage, photos, discussions) will be just as good, if not better.

I think however that good modern lenses are probably the best option out there, quality wise, but we're talking 1k+ lenses, but I'd take vintage glass over pretty much anything in the 300-1k price range, especially for filming where you'll be in full manual anyway.

I'm not saying that you should go this way, but this is something I -personally- wished I had considered back when I started photography, now, apart of some specific stuff (like the samyang fisheye for example, which I just got used for about 130 euros in a shop), I know I'll stick with the old glass. Value for money just seems much better. If I could afford it, I'd probably go to modern primes, but again, we're talking 800-1k+ per lense.

and if you want to do video, I'd go with the 600D/650D, that flip LCD screen really comes in handy

For about 700/800€ you could get a 600D (body), a very good 50 like the takumar SMC 50mm 1.4, a good cheap 28mm 2.8 (takumar or pentacon) a 135mm 2.8 (lots of good stuff there, for cheap too) and maybe squeeze in a 35mm (ideally flektogon if you can find one for a reasonable price, vivitar does also a nice 35mm 1.9 that you can find for a good price)
    You'd pretty much be all set for any situation. 50mm/35mm for polyvalence, 28mm for wide angle, 135mm for close ups. This would be with good, known lenses. If you feel more adventurous, you can cut your lense budget in half all with ending with stuff that may be just as good (lenses like the helios 44 58mm f2 go for insanely cheap, like 10€/20€ cheap, and they're pretty good)

and finally, about Canon DSLRs, their file format for video is HUGE, so 16gb is not going to cut it if you want to spend a night filming. Also consider buying an extra hard drive, if you want to do it right, you want to convert your footage in a much more edit friendly format but this takes loads of disk space.