Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vintage lenses discussion

Bloody hell. You really have turned into a lens junkie.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post

Bloody hell. You really have turned into a lens junkie.
    tell me about it, bought 20 lenses in 10 days, when I saw the total on "my ebay" I almost had a stroke, now I'm finishing the month eating pastas
    on the other hand I got most of the hot ones and didn't pay more than a hundred euros a pop, some were as low as 10ish euros.

The more I use them (photo and filming) the more I realize that's all I've ever wanted, great vintage feel on the fingers, that definite film look, most of them are as fast as they come, and if they're not, they usually have awesome results anyway (like the takumar 28mm 3.5 or the CZJ tessar 135mm 3.5)

But they are also very good in photography. the thing is, they'll become very expensive very fast IMO, more and more people are finding out about them, I've seen some of those I've bought go for over 300 or even 400 (the takumar 105mm 2.8 for example)

that said, I'm all set now. I'll just figure out which ones I'll keep and which ones I'll sell (I did put 3 or 4 on ebay already)
    Last edited by hadoq; 10-26-2012 at 11:30 AM.

Hey guys, seems like a pretty interesting thread is forming ;
    I`ve ordered Canon 650d body and should be with me withing the next days. I`m really not a DSLR expert, but i`ve shot with kit lenses, which produce OK video, but nothing special. I want to go beyond that.
    I`m very exited after i read this thread and before buying new lenses,which would have costed $2-3k , i`m more willing in purchasing vintage lesnses. I will be using the 650D for short movies,music clips etc etc - only video
    I`m interested in knowing, are these old lenses only prime ? Can you get for ex 24-105mm or something like that ? WOuld they have the same quality as the primes ? Usually i know and it comes close to mind that primes produce better quality for having less glass
    What models would you recommend me ? I`m not even sure what lenses 650d support.

One aspect that's not been mentioned is the noise of some lenses (and I presume these SLR lenses are used in "Manual"), but the internals can be noisey . . . . I have a zoom 35-105 which has a nasty "eeek!" sound as it's zoomed. Yet another, 35-200 is silent when zoomed.
    Of course a fixed lens should be silent, since the focus is a fine-thread liberally coated in grease. Yet this is also an issue as video probably needs a "light-touch" whereas for SLR use it was preferred to be fairly stiff so the user could make use of those DoF makings which were provided, yet often ignored.

The moderen DSLR lens is slightly different (from the SLR lens), in that is has to avoid reflections from the sensor. How much of a factor this is, is unclear . . . but might be more of an issue with compact digital cameras like GH and NEX with interchangeable facilities, as there is no mirror, so the back-focus can be reduced, making the camera "more compact".

Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    One aspect that's not been mentioned is the noise of some lenses (and I presume these SLR lenses are used in "Manual"), but the internals can be noisey . . . . I have a zoom 35-105 which has a nasty "eeek!" sound as it's zoomed. Yet another, 35-200 is silent when zoomed.
    Of course a fixed lens should be silent, since the focus is a fine-thread liberally coated in grease. Yet this is also an issue as video probably needs a "light-touch" whereas for SLR use it was preferred to be fairly stiff so the user could make use of those DoF makings which were provided, yet often ignored.

The moderen DSLR lens is slightly different (from the SLR lens), in that is has to avoid reflections from the sensor. How much of a factor this is, is unclear . . . but might be more of an issue with compact digital cameras like GH and NEX with interchangeable facilities, as there is no mirror, so the back-focus can be reduced, making the camera "more compact".
    In terms of the noise you said zoom SLR lenses have - is it a "movie style" noise or more like a dirty particle world noise ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12